+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #1458905 +++
Version 2.10.0 was released back in March. We should probably pick it up.
CHANGES BETWEEN 2.9.1 and 2.10
I. IMPORTANT CHANGES
- A bunch of new functions has been added to access and process
COLR/CPAL data of OpenType fonts with color-layered glyphs.
Retrieve color palette data.
Select and activate a color palette for color-layered
Set text foreground color for palette index 0xFFFF.
Get color layers for a given glyph (using an interator
Blend one bitmap onto another with a given color.
- An experimental feature is the new behaviour of the
`FT_LOAD_COLOR' load flag for color-layered glyphs: Internally
it sets a flag so that if `FT_Render_Glyph' is called with
`FT_RENDER_MODE_NORMAL' (or `FT_Load_Glyph' with
`FT_LOAD_RENDER'), a default blending of the color glyph layers
will happen automatically for convenience.
- As a GSoC 2018 project, Nikhil Ramakrishnan completely
overhauled and modernized the API reference.
- The logic for computing the global ascender, descender, and
height of OpenType fonts has been slightly adjusted for
. If the `useTypoMetrics' flag (i.e., bit 7 in the `fsSelection'
field) in the `OS/2' table is set, use the `sTypo' fields in
. Otherwise use the metrics data from the `hhea' table (if not
. Otherwise use the `sTypo' fields from the `OS/2' table (if not
. Otherwise use the `usWin' data from the `OS/2' table as a last
Variable fonts will apply the `MVAR' deltas to whichever metrics
- `TT_Set_MM_Blend' could fail if call repeatedly with the same
- The precision of handling deltas in Variation Fonts has been
increased. The problem did only show up with multidimensional
- New function `FT_Library_SetLcdGeometry' to set up the geometry
of LCD subpixels.
- FreeType now uses the `defaultChar' property of PCF fonts to set
the glyph for the undefined character at glyph index 0 (as
FreeType already does for all other supported font formats). As
a consequence, the order of glyphs of a PCF font if accessed
with FreeType can be different now compared to previous
This change doesn't affect PCF font access with cmaps.
- `FT_Select_Charmap' has been changed to allow parameter value
`FT_ENCODING_NONE', which is valid for BDF, PCF, and Windows FNT
formats to access built-in cmaps that don't have a predefined
- A previously reserved field in the `FT_GlyphSlotRec' structure
now holds the glyph index.
- On Win32 platforms, the use of `_DLL' to build the library has
been replaced with `DLL_EXPORT' and `DLL_IMPORT'.
- The usual round of fuzzer bug fixes to better reject malformed
- `FT_Outline_New_Internal' and `FT_Outline_Done_Internal' have
been removed. These two functions were public by oversight only
and were never documented.
- A new function `FT_Error_String' returns descriptions of error
codes if configuration macro FT_CONFIG_OPTION_ERROR_STRINGS is
- `FT_Set_MM_WeightVector' and `FT_Get_MM_WeightVector' are new
functions limited to Adobe MultiMaster fonts to directly set and
get the weight vector.
- Support for Position Independent Code as needed by systems that
prohibit automatic address fixups, such as BREW, has been
removed. [Compilation with modern compilers that use flags like
`-fPIC' or `-fPIE' is not affected.]
- The `ftdump' demo program has new options `-c' and `-C' to
display charmaps in compact and detailed format, respectively.
Option `-V' has been removed.
- The `ftview', `ftstring', and `ftgrid' demo programs use a new
command line option `-d' to specify the program window's width,
height, and color depth.
- The `ftview' demo program now displays red boxes for zero-width
- `ftglyph' has limited support to display fonts with
color-layered glyphs. This will be improved later on.
- `ftgrid' can now display bitmap fonts also.
- The `ttdebug' demo program has a new option `-f' to select a
member of a TrueType collection (TTC).
- Other various improvements to the demo programs.