POP: Japanese name folder looks weird after restart Steps: 1. Setup a POP account 2. Create a JA name folder (in my case, ねこ - see this in Shift_JIS） 3. The new folder is displayed correctly 4. Exit and restart the browser 5. Notice that the JA folder name looks weird Note: On IMAP account, there's no such problem. Latin-1 folders look fine after restart. If you open a POP account in a new profile, a new folder won't show before you close/reopen mail window (see bug 155658 )
>5. Notice that the JA folder name looks weird Please attach a screen shot.
Right below Trash folder, there's "mS" folder. It should show the JA name I gave upon creation.
This is a regression from 7.0PR1. Jeesun, please find out when this has started. Reassigned to naving, cc to putterman. Can this be related to the recent POP folder related change?
The folder name which are displayed as random ASCII ("mS" in the screen shot), it shows fine as Japanse when I switch back to 7.0 PR1. So it look like this is a display problem.
How does it work for latin-1 folders then ?
I first saw this on 0701 branch build. 0627 branch build does NOT show this problem. So it came back inbetween 0628 branch and 0701 branch. For trunk, both 0627 trunk and 0628 trunk have the same problem.
>How does it work for latin-1 folders then ? As indicated in the report, Latin-1 folders work fine.
I know this has been caused by setting user given name as prettyName which we store as PRUnichar * rather than using the disk name. I am wondering why it works for latin-1 and not for japanese.
When we store this name in the db (summary file) we just do ToNewCString(PRUnichar*) I think that causes loss in case of japanese. nhotta, how should we convert here, perhaps to utf8 would fix it, right ?
Yes, I think so, storing as UTF-8 would not lose the data.
06/28 branch does not have the problem, it started from 06/29 branch.
Can I have japanese, chinese names to play around with ? thx.
See this in Shift_JIS. I used ねこ, a JA name.
Local folder name is dependent to default OS setting. So you need to switch the default to test. For Japanese, you can copy/paste text from home.netscape.co.jp. Please contact me for detail. The problem can also be reproduced by using a symbol character. I tried a trademark and it turned to a double-quote after the re-launch. Here is how to type trademark on Windows. Hold Atl key then hit numeric pad 1, 5, 3 then release Alt key.
I think this should fix it. nhotta, Can you try this fix w/ your testcases ? thx.
I applied the patch to a debug build on Windows NT4 Japanese. It fixes the problem. I created a couple of Japanese folder names and quit, after I re-launch the folder names are still shown correctly. But for Japanse folders which already exist, I had to remove summary files (.msf) to make them shown correctly. We have to do something about that because all the exisiting non Latin1 local folder have their name stored broken in summary files.
yeah, that is a tricky issue. trunk builds from 6/27 onwards and branch builds from 6/29 onwards have this problem. I don't see how we can fix it other than just asking users to delete their msf files.
A small # of users will have been hit by this (and no one from using a major milestone such as 1.1, 1.0.1, or Mach V). So, I think we can focus on fixing it for newly created folders.
Actually the folders I created by 6.2 and PR1 cannot be shown correctly even with the patch, I have to delete .msf files.
Acutally all 6.x builds will have this problem because we were never converting mailboxName to UTF8 as far as I can see. So we were storing lossyConverted char* in the db. I can go back and undo setting of prettyName which will fix this bug for cases where disk names match the prettyNames (which should cover most cases).
Don't set the prettyName as mailboxName.
David, Cavin, Can I get reviews for last patch ? thx.
I removed the first patch and applied the last patch. I created a folder by PR1 and that is shown correctly without removing .msf. One question, the pretty name change was a part of bug 153982 fix. Would reverting it not affect the fix of bug 153982?
No, it would not affect fix for bug 153982. It was not totally related to that bug but it was the right thing to do because we should be storing prettyName in case disk name doesn't match prettyName. When you create a local folder where disk name obtained after hashing is not the same as prettyName, it will show hash name in the folder pane now (I think this was the same behavior before bug 153982 was fixed).
Comment on attachment 90160 [details] [diff] [review] proposed fix, v2 r=cavin.
Attachment #90160 - Flags: review+
Let's get an sr= on this so it can land in the trunk. How risky is this patch?
Comment on attachment 90160 [details] [diff] [review] proposed fix, v2 sr=bienvenu
Attachment #90160 - Flags: superreview+
QA contact over to me.
QA Contact: marina → jeesun
Navin, can you land this on the trunk? After it's landed, Jeesun, can you verify this? Navin, are there any other areas besides this actual bug that we should test around to reduce risk?
fixed on trunk. As I have mentioned before we may see the hash names instead of actual folder names in some cases when you start-up after creating a new folder. I think we will have to relnote this.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 17 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Verified on 0709 trunk build 1. I created a folder using this build. After restart, it was displayed correctly. 2. I first created a folder using PR1. And it is also shown correctly in today's trunk build.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
adt1.0.1+ (on ADT's behalf) approval for checkin to the 1.0 branch. pls check this into asap, then replace "mozilla1.0.1+" with "fixed1.0.1".
please checkin to the 1.0.1 branch. once there, remove the "mozilla1.0.1+" keyword and add the "fixed1.0.1" keyword.
Verified on 0711 branch build
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.