This patch makes following changes to the extended triplets holdback experiment (bug 1571817) rolled out in Firefox 69.
- Decreased impression cap for the extended triplets from 20 to 5
- Updated the experiment ID from
Notes for QA testing:
There are still two branches in this experiment:
- The control branch (95%), in which one should see the extended triplets if the profile age is younger than 7 days;
- The holdback branch (5%), in which one should NOT see the extended triplets regardless of the profile age.
To test the control branch is straightforward, simply use a new profile, it should show the triplets on the about:home or about:newtab.
- Verify it only gets shown for 5 times in total, i.e. the first about:home and the subsequent 4 newtab pages.
- Verify the
shield_id field in the onboarding
IMPRESSION telemetry ping, it should include the string
activity-stream-extended-triplets-v2-1581912:control. You can find how to check the telemetry in this doc.
It's harder to verify the
holdback branch since it only accounts for 5% of the targeting audience. However, we can manually enroll ourselves into this branch by overwriting
trailhead.extendedTriplets.experiment in about:config, simply set it as
holdback then restart the browser. Users in this branch will not see the extended triplets, hence it won't send the
IMPRESSION ping. Still, shield_id should include
activity-stream-extended-triplets-v2-1581912:holdback in other pings of Activity Stream.