I am looking at the latest available iteration of bug 440377 (try build 73.0a1 (2019-12-06) (64-bit).*
A bit of visual polishing...
- compose msg with 5+ recipients (also try 20+...)
- Observe UI wrt saliency / "visual noise" / distractions
- entire recipient area is far "too busy", with coloured pills on white background of long rectangles with borders and bits of grey background in between, we certainly regressed the current "flat" header layout... (that's for another bug; which may affect this bug)
- most outstanding wrt "visual noise": each and every recipient has a round close button on the right side, grey circular background with a very pronounced x in font color (black for the majority of known recipients)
- the more recipients, the more delete-buttons: not nice. We've just eliminated heaps of permanent visual clutter in the recipient area with my patch in bug 1493158 (see bug 1493158 comment 33).
- radically reduce the default saliency of delete buttons
- re-emphasize delete button only when recipient is hovered or focused
Proposal (subject to change if the overall style of recipient area is flattened):
- default style of recipient delete buttons: no circle, faint x in white (as long as our background is white), or low-contrast darkish-grey (on universal flat grey background)
- hover/focus/select style of recipient delete buttons: perhaps ok as they are now
Gmail's flat pill-style is pretty nice, and pills actually go away completely when not in use. They also de-emphasize the delete x button by default. I'm not even sure if TB really needs those permanent delete buttons, click pill + press DEL key seems simple enough. We're still a desktop app...