Yes, Instant Evaluation was the winner in our team voting. Let's use it for now and see if users can make more sense of it than eager eval (which is a snappy project name bit a too technical product feature name).
Adding the reasoning from our planning doc:
“Eager evaluation” isn’t used much when developers describe it, so there might be a better name. Beyond the checkbox in the settings dropdown in the Console, the name isn’t user-facing in Chrome.
Auditing articles & tweets:
- “type an expression in the Console, the Console can now show a preview of the result of that expression below your cursor.”
- “Eager Evaluation shows a preview of that expression's return value.” (via)
- “grey preview of the evaluation of the expression” (via)
- “allows the evaluation of statements in the console as you write them and also displays the signature of the method” (via)
- “enables expression evaluation of code in the Console, provided the expression does not have side effects (i.e. execution does something other than returning a value)” (via)