form submission crashes Mozilla

VERIFIED FIXED

Status

Core Graveyard
Security: UI
--
blocker
VERIFIED FIXED
16 years ago
a year ago

People

(Reporter: Jackie Patti, Assigned: Stephane Saux)

Tracking

Other Branch
x86
Windows 98

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

16 years ago
It was doing this on v 1.0, so I upgraded to 1.1 tonight, and it's sitll doing 
it.  It didn't used to do this, just started recently and happens on two 
different boxes (a laptop and a PC).

Basically, whenever I hit a form submission of any sort, Mozilla crashes, 
closing the browser, mail and news, and the calendar.  It doesn't seem to 
matter if the form is a POST or GET or whether it uses JavaScript, all forms do 
this. 

The error I get on crashing says: MOZILLA caused an invalid page fault in
module SOFTOKN3.DLL at 017f:6101c1aa.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=017f EIP=6101c1aa EFLGS=00010246
EBX=00003d00 SS=0187 ESP=0064ed98 EBP=00000000
ECX=01f6e8e8 DS=0187 ESI=02c9900a FS=4dc7
EDX=00000000 ES=0187 EDI=0000007c GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8a 76 fe 8a 06 8a 56 ff 33 c9 8a 4e 01 c1 e2 08 
Stack dump:
02bb8e00 02bb85a0 0000000a 00000008 02bb9a70 00000001 00000000 00000064 
00000001 01e8cf98 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00003d00 02c98086
Have you made any unusual changes to security settings?

Were you able to submit a talkback report?  (See http://mozilla.org/releases/ )

Changing to PSM due to crash in SOFTOKN3.DLL
Assignee: rudman → ssaux
Component: Web Developer → Client Library
Product: Documentation → PSM
QA Contact: rudman → junruh
(Reporter)

Comment 2

16 years ago
I don't think I have made any changes to security settings.  However, I *have* 
made gobs of changes since this problem began.

Originally, I was running a 0.9 version on both PC and laptop and it connected 
to my email at my home network IMAP server which gathered all my email via 
fetchmail.  We moved to a remote location and no longer had DSL, so I could not 
access my IMAP server away from home, so I changed Mozilla to POP all my 
accounts directly.  In the process of doing so, I also upgraded both machines 
to 1.0.  

Then I wrote DOS batch files that copied my profile from one box to the other.  
Then I spent a week discovering all the files that ought not be copied for this 
to work properly.  ;)  So I rewrote the batch files to only copy mail and news 
folder, bookmarks, calendar ics files, the .w and .s files and a few other 
things.

Having finally gotten all of this straightened out, I spent most of today 
trying to figure out why Mozilla 1.0 on my PC kept crashing when I submitted 
forms. Came into the office with my laptop and downloaded 1.1 and installed it 
and discovered it is doing the same thing here.

I have made so MANY changes, it's difficult to pinpoint anything in 
particular.  

However, I just reviewed everything under Privacy and Security, Advanced and 
Debugging in Preferences on my laptop.  Other than things that weren't there in 
the version 0.9 Mozilla, everything looks the same as I originally set it.

I've searched the web, Usenet and Bugzilla for this problem (via IE, I can't 
even Google with Mozilla) and only found very old problems with form 
submission, none of which made the whole application crash the way I am 
seeing.  After attempting to find any info on this, I finally let *one* 
instance of the talkback report go tonight.  
(Reporter)

Comment 3

16 years ago
I fixed this myself.  Since Dave indicated that SOFTOKN3.DLL had to do with the 
security stuff, I renamed my .w and .s files in my profile by adding a .bak 
extension and reopened Mozilla.  It's working fine now (except that I had to re-
enter all my passwords, of course).

I have the original .w and .s files if anyone wants them to see what happened 
(I have no idea how to attach files in bugzilla, sorry am new to it).  Email me 
at jpatti@ccil.org if needed.  

I expect the files themselves are useless though, I'd be willing to bet that 
the pref.js or some other file has hard-coded the filenames or encryption key 
or such - that these are files I *cannot* copy from one machine to another and 
have Mozilla work properly.  
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 16 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED

Comment 4

16 years ago
Verified.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED

Updated

13 years ago
Component: Security: UI → Security: UI
Product: PSM → Core
Product: Core → Core Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.