If I do a complete install, mozilla locks on the first execution - displays the splash screen and stops there. It does not appear in the Task Manager Applications listing, but rather you must end the task in the Processes listing. This same behavior was observed using 1.0 and 1.1b If I uninstall and reinstall only the browser and security manager, it seems to work fine.
Did you ever install (a newer) Mozilla in an existing Mozilla directory? if so: please remove your Mozilla directory (the settings are stored somewhere else) and try reinstall Mozilla.
Same here. Apparently, uninstalling and re-installing makes the browser re- usable, but only once. After closing the browser the procedure must be re- enacted. A bug in all versions I've tried so far, which is from 1.0 RC1 -> 1.1. Only viable solution I've found is to not only uninstall and remove the directory in the Program Files folder, but also remove all references to the word "Mozilla" in the registry. Running Windows XP. It seems that the problems MAY be tied to the Java plug-in, the problems came (twice) after I started to install that one.
OK guys - thanks for all your help on this matter. Here is what I did: I copied the bookmarks.html file from c:/documents and settings/myname/application data/mozilla/profiles/default/blargblarg.slt to my desktop for safekeeping, then uninstalled mozilla, deleted the c:/documents and settings/myname/application data/mozilla folder, and also deleted the d:/program files/mozilla.org folder. Then I reinstalled to d:/program files/mozilla.org selecting complete install Everything works fine, I had to reconfigure the browser and re-install the Little Mozilla theme, but once I copied the bookmarks back into the proper folder, everything else worked fine. Thanks guys! Do we leave this bug as outstanding or is there a way to mark it 'known with a workaround'?
Thanks for the info. I tried the same, but in an attempt to narrow down the problem, I did NOT remove the c:\program files\mozilla.org folder and then I reinstalled. Works fine now. Thus, it seems that the bug can be tracked to the c:/documents and settings/myname/application data/mozilla folder.
from previous comments, this bug seems to have gone away in this case. sounds like the chrome files in the browser and/or profile got screwed up by installing multiple versions and/or themes. certainly a known issue that it doesn't work when it gets screwed up, the problem is identifying what causes it to get screwed up in the first place...
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 16 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.