Closed Bug 1667588 Opened 1 year ago Closed 11 months ago

The DuckDuckGo search engine is missing from the search engine list in Preferences

Categories

(Thunderbird :: Search, defect)

Thunderbird 82
x86_64
All
defect

Tracking

(thunderbird_esr78 unaffected, thunderbird81 unaffected, thunderbird82 affected, thunderbird83 affected)

RESOLVED FIXED
84 Branch
Tracking Status
thunderbird_esr78 --- unaffected
thunderbird81 --- unaffected
thunderbird82 --- affected
thunderbird83 --- affected

People

(Reporter: walts48, Assigned: sancus)

References

Details

(Keywords: regression)

Attachments

(1 file, 1 obsolete file)

Noticed it missing while testing the 82.0b1 release candidate on Windows10.

It does appear in the Add-ons list of Troubleshooting Information.

"DuckDuckGo extension 1.0 true ddg@search.mozilla.org"

Looks like it was originally added to version 60.5.0 via bug 1427133.

This is what you need to add to the configuration:

{
  "appliesTo": [
    {
      "included": {
        "everywhere": true
      }
    }
  ],
  "telemetryId": "ddg",
  "webExtension": {
    "id": "ddg@search.mozilla.org"
  },
}

You can probably upload that via the upload script that was used to upload the script previously.

There's also a review option on remote settings, so you can promote it to review, then test it out, then deploy it.

Flags: needinfo?(sancus)

Oh, once the configuration is approved in production, you'll also want to update Thunderbird's locally stored version, so that it is present in new profiles.

To do that, I generally just curl https://.... > path/to/search-config.json - that way you have the correct ids and timestamps.

Firefox has automation that does this semi-automatically

Sancus, any update?

Assignee: nobody → sancus
Attached patch bug1667588_duckduckgo.patch (obsolete) — Splinter Review
Flags: needinfo?(sancus)
Attachment #9185871 - Flags: review?(mkmelin+mozilla)

I've updated this: https://thunderbird-settings.thunderbird.net/v1/buckets/thunderbird/collections/search-config/records

It seems to be correct. However, the file in the tree uses some kind of pretty printing that isn't the Firefox standard. Do we know what that is, or care about preserving it? It does not have any timestamps either.

In any case, I attached a patch using the current formatting that can be applied. A subsequent patch from a curl with timestamps could be applied if the formatting issue is resolved.

(In reply to Andrei Hajdukewycz [:sancus] from comment #5)

I've updated this: https://thunderbird-settings.thunderbird.net/v1/buckets/thunderbird/collections/search-config/records

It seems to be correct. However, the file in the tree uses some kind of pretty printing that isn't the Firefox standard. Do we know what that is, or care about preserving it? It does not have any timestamps either.

In any case, I attached a patch using the current formatting that can be applied. A subsequent patch from a curl with timestamps could be applied if the formatting issue is resolved.

In tree you want the unmodified dump with curl (which will include the ids and timestamps). This avoids remote settings having to re-fetch the full dump on first start. It is also easier to ensure that it is the same as latest production.

OK, well in that case here is a patch that includes the raw dump via curl with no changes.

Attachment #9185871 - Attachment is obsolete: true
Attachment #9185871 - Flags: review?(mkmelin+mozilla)
Attachment #9185918 - Flags: review?(mkmelin+mozilla)
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Target Milestone: --- → 84 Branch
Comment on attachment 9185918 [details] [diff] [review]
bug1667588_duckduckgo.patch

Review of attachment 9185918 [details] [diff] [review]:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'll get this landed.
Attachment #9185918 - Flags: review?(mkmelin+mozilla) → review+

Pushed by mkmelin@iki.fi:
https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/rev/ef11f3d386be
fix DuckDuckGo search engine listing in Preferences. r=mkmelin

Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 11 months ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED

I'm not seeing the search engine in my testing of the 84.0b1 release candidate on Ubuntu 18.04.

Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---

(In reply to WaltS48 [:walts48] from comment #10)

I'm not seeing the search engine in my testing of the 84.0b1 release candidate on Ubuntu 18.04.

Please file a new bug for that. I've checked both the server side configuration and the one updated in the client and they both have DDG in.

Also, generally please don't re-open bugs after a merge day has happened, that makes it really confusing for what has landed where, and can upset tracking flags.

Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Closed: 11 months ago11 months ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Blocks: 1677808

Ended up taking a quick look and filing two separate bugs - bug 1677808 and bug 1677812. There's also the fact the server has a certificate error - I've pinged sancus about that separately.

You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.