There are cases when moving topsites around, causes the move to be made to a position incremented by the number of shown sponsored topsites(?). Also, doing it a while, it would cause bug 1673429 and additionally to create new topsites placeholders(>32+)
Position 1 and Position 2 have sponsored top sites.
Position 32 has sponsored top site.
- Download and install RO localized Firefox.
- Create an user.js and set: browser.topsites.useRemoteSetting = true and browser.search.region to "RO", connecting to the staging main-preview.
- Start the browser with the predefined profile.
- Open a new about:preferences#home and set topsites to be shown on 4 rows.
- Open a new tab.
- Observe the topsites section.
- Drag and drop position 32 sponsored top site to position random position.
- Move a normal topsite to another position.
- Redo 7. or 8. multiple times.
- Top sites are listed correctly: positions 1,2,32 have sponsored topsites
7/8. Given the preconditions, you will get the top site moved to position +2
- Weird things start happening: bug 1673429, new topsites placeholders (check video_recording)
Topsites get moved to the chosen position.
Please note that there is a trigger for the reported behavior, it's intermittent and not always reproducible.