(In reply to Geoff Lankow (:darktrojan) from comment #2)
Your address books went through an upgrade process the first time you opened Thunderbird 78. Obviously this has gone wrong somewhere. There should be backup files in your profile folder, so you can try to do the upgrade again. I'd suggest doing just one initially so you can see if it's working or not.
Here's the steps to do:
- In Thunderbird's config editor find the entries for a particular book, they'll be named
ldap_2.servers.something.…. Change the one named
dirType from 101 to 2. Change the one named
filename from something.sqlite to something.mab.
- Close Thunderbird.
- In your profile folder delete something.sqlite and rename something.mab.bak to something.mab.
- Open Thunderbird and see if it worked. If not, open the Error Console (under Tools, Developer Tools on the menu) and see what's written there. Copy and paste it here as it may help us figure out what's happened.
I restored the backup copy of TB I'd made after I noticed the address book problem.
I made the modifications to the config for one address book, abook-15.
NOTE, there was NO abook-15.mab.bak, but there was already an abook-15.mab
The abook-15.sqlite file was deleted. Note, it was 320kb large.
Note, interestingly, the only ….mab.bak files that exist in the folder (besides the primary address book and the history) were abook-6.mab.bak and impab-5.mab.bak. Looking at the ldap_2.server… entries for abook-6.mab… and impab-5.mab…, I see that that these are the ONLY address books that were successfully converted during the original upgrade.
After downing and re-starting TB, a new abook-15.mab.bak has appeared, and the address book looks good! The address book contains 3 lists, so the presence of lists in the converted address books no longer appears to be a determining factor in success/failure of the original upgrade.
Note the size of the abook-15.sqlite file is 32kb, unlike most of the uncoverted address book sqlite files, which are 320kb.
I’ve also gone through the procedure of modifying the config entries of another address book, impab-18, but failed to delete the .sqlite file before re-opening TB. That failed to convert the address book. But as soon as I deleted the .sqlite file and re-opened TB, the address book conversion worked. The new impab-18.sqlite file is 32kb large.