User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:87.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/87.0
Steps to reproduce:
This might be a dupe of another issue, but I can't find it right now and I think that one was a little confused, so sorry.
- run Firefox Nightly Wayland in GNOME
- check with
lg the window class (
- run Firefox Nightly Xwayland in GNOME
- check the window class again (
Nightly has different window classes depending on whether it's running on Wayland or not. This can be pretty annoying because a distro package (I'm using
firefox-nightly-bin in Arch/AUR) might have a
.desktop file with
StartupWMClass=Nightly, which won't work on Wayland.
If the startup class is wrong, users might:
- not get "running" notifications until some long timeout expires
- not be able to add the browser to their DE app launcher like GNOME's dock
- not be able to invoke window commands like "New private window"
WMClass should be the same regardless of whether it's running in Wayland or not.