User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; de-AT; rv:1.2a) Gecko/20020910 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; de-AT; rv:1.2a) Gecko/20020910 Every time the browser starts in Character Coding=Unicode (UTF8). In preferences the Default Character Coding is set to Western (ISO 8859-1). It "works" on all URL's. The Auto-Detect-Feature is "OFF", but this makes no difference. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1.Start Mozilla 2.Enter an URL 3.Look at it ;) My System is _german_ Win ME.
Not directly to your Bug, but Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; de-AT; rv:1.2a) Gecko/20020910; there is no Language-Pack for 1.2a, have you installed an old one for Mozilla?
No, it was installed over an older version. In preferences/Appearance/Languages the de_AT Language-Pack does _not_ appear.
Assignee: asa → yokoyama
Component: Browser-General → Internationalization
QA Contact: asa → ruixu
Jens Nixdorf: Could you please try to mark charset as iso-8859-1 then clear th Cache (Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Cache) to see if there is any difference? Could you please also try to launch brower by profile manager and create a new profile?
by testing your suggestions i could see a little bit more: the wrong coding appears _only_ if i start the browser from the mail-window. It makes no difference, if it is startet by clicking an URL in a mail or by clicking the icon in the little quickstart-bar in the status-bar or by hitting ctrl+1. Also it makes no difference, if the cache is empty or not or if i create a new profile to start from. Short: Started from Mail+News the Char-Coding is in Unicode, started directly as browser it is iso-8859-1. rgds, Jens
You mean you only see it when start from Mail & News? what's your default charset in your Edit | Peferences | Mail & Newsgroup | Message Display | Character Coding? But if you start with a new profile, the default charset is always set to iso-8859-1, unless the mail message itself has unicode encoding. cc Naoki and Marina regarding for mail.
Yes, i see it only when i start from Mail & News. Default Charset for Message Display is also set to iso-8859-1. rgds, Jens
Additional Info: The wrong charset is only active, if i start the browser from Mail & News _and_ it will be the first browser-window. If a browser-window is open from another session and maybe i click an URL in a mail and the old browser-window opens this URL, then the last active charset is used. So if i have choosen the right charset in the session before and click on a new URL in a mail, the browser-window will be updateted with the right charset. This has nothing to do with closing the complete mozilla, if i close only the browser and Mail & News is still active, every new browser-window started from mail has the wrong charset. rgds, Jens
I have the same kind of bug. When I click an URL in mail&news, the browsers character coding changes to Unicode (UTF-8). I have to change the coding back to Western (ISO-8859-1) (View -> Character coding -> Western (ISO-8859-1)) _every_time_ I click some URL in mail&news, otherwise the scandinavian characters (at least ä and ö) are displayed as question marks (?). My system: English Win2000 Pro, SP3 Mozilla 1.2b (build: 2002101612) (this same bug exsisted already in Mozilla 1.1. I installed this 1.2b by NOT uninstalling the previous version) In preferences: Navigator -> Languages: First language is English [en], second Finnish [fi]. Default character coding is Western (ISO-8859-1). Mail & Newsgroups -> Message display: Character coding is Western (ISO-8859-1). [YES] Apply default to all messages (ignore character coding specified by MIME header). Mail & Newsgroups -> Composition: [NO] For messages that contain 8-bit characters, use 'quoted printable' MIME encoding. Leave unchecked to send the message as is. Character coding is Western (ISO-8859-15).
Now I have tested this in Mozilla 1.1 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.1) Gecko/20020826) (because of some other annoying bugs in 1.2b). I have noticed that the character coding changes to UTF-8 if there is no Content-Type defined on the site.
Now i have running at home Mozilla 1.3a (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-AT; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021212) and it has again the same behaviour. But maybe it has something to do with the language pack. All my mozilla's at all my computers are sometimes overwritten by newer ones. And all of them has sometimes got the austrian/german-language-pack. For the mozilla 1.3x there is no german language-pack yet, but it says "de-AT" if i click at the "Help/about"-menu.
It still works for me with current steps in this bug, but I'm going to confirm it to get more input from other people.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
This failure mode should be impossible now.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 2 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.