Closed Bug 1818009 Opened 1 year ago Closed 1 year ago

Default width of 3pane is too narrow

Categories

(Thunderbird :: Mail Window Front End, defect)

defect

Tracking

(thunderbird_esr102 wontfix, thunderbird111 wontfix)

RESOLVED FIXED
112 Branch
Tracking Status
thunderbird_esr102 --- wontfix
thunderbird111 --- wontfix

People

(Reporter: rjl, Assigned: rjl)

Details

(Whiteboard: [snnot3p])

Attachments

(1 file)

On a fresh profile, messenger.xhtml sets a default width of 1024px (or smaller if a narrow screen).
https://searchfox.org/comm-central/rev/7559777da5005a906731e9622f92569489e0862c/mail/base/content/messenger.js#194-209

Realistically, this is too small. On Windows, the Mail tab is usable unless the today pane is enabled, then the message list and display boxes are too small to be useful. The Calendar tab is worse, at 1024px wide the default week display (week being the default view) cuts off at either Thursday or Saturday depending if the Today Pane is visible. Month/Multiweek compress the day widths so the entire week is visible, but the display of the event itself cuts off at the start time, so you cannot see the description.

It looks like a width of 1329px is sufficient to display the Calendar in week view with the Today Pane and not cut off days.

We should have our own telemetry on this (maybe?) -- but even if not, the Firefox Public Data Report has useful information: 65% of screens use either 1920x1080 or 1366x768. Of the remaining 35%, 8% fall into an "Other" category that includes widths less than 1024px as well as above.

Using (older) data from https://firefoxgraphics.github.io/telemetry/#view=monitors, we can get more specific:

Width (as w) Count Increment % Width (as w) % Smaller
w <= 1024 26115 2.42% w <= 1024 2.42%
1024 < w <= 1080 2927 0.27% w <= 1080 2.69%
1080 < w <= 1152 1555 0.14% w <= 1152 2.83%
1152 < w <= 1280 55556 5.14% w <= 1280 7.97%
1280 < w <= 1366 257484 23.81% w <= 1366 31.78%
1366 < w <= 1440 30296 2.80% w <= 1440 34.58%
1440 < w <= 1600 73241 6.77% w <= 1600 41.36%
1600 < w <= 1680 24683 2.28% w <= 1680 43.64%
1680 < w <= 1920 545072 50.41% w <= 1920 94.05%
1920 < w <= 2560 34529 3.19% w <= 2560 97.24%
2560 < w <= 3840 28677 2.65% w <= 3840 99.89%
3840 < w <= 11880 1161 0.11% w <= 11880 100.00%

94% of Firefox Desktop users have screens <= 1920px wide. We should take advantage of this width by default and not make users adjust the window themselves. First impressions and all that good stuff.

Personally, the first thing I do after setting up an account on a new profile is adjust the window size so it's useful. I see this as an easy win.

In terms of CI testing, Windows tests run at 1280x1024, Linux at 1600x1200, and macOS at 1920x1080. I don't see anything specifically testing the width of messenger.xhtml. It should be added.

If the Today Pane is not active, a width of 1120px is sufficient to display the complete Calendar week.

This is based on how Firefox sets the initial window size for a new profile.
A screen width of 1280 will drop to 1152, which is sufficient to display the
UI elements comfortably assuming the Today Pane is not active.

Assignee: nobody → rob
Attachment #9319009 - Attachment description: WIP: Bug 1818009 - Set more reasonable default window size. → Bug 1818009 - Set more reasonable default window size. r=#thunderbird-front-end-reviewers
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED

Thanks for improving this, Rob!

Whiteboard: [snnot]
Target Milestone: --- → 112 Branch

Pushed by alessandro@thunderbird.net:
https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/rev/562ee9313670
Set more reasonable default window size. r=aleca

Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 1 year ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Whiteboard: [snnot] → [snnot3p]
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.

Attachment

General

Created:
Updated:
Size: