Spam filters do not work with new profile

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

MailNews Core
Filters
--
major
RESOLVED INVALID
15 years ago
9 years ago

People

(Reporter: Henning Schnoor, Assigned: Navin Gupta)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

15 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021212
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021212

With Mozilla 1.3a, spam filters don't work anymore for me.

I have a test profile which I used to test nightly builds pre-1.3, especially
the spam filter, and those worked well. When I upgraded to 1.3a, this profile
still identified incoming spam.

I have another (main) profile, which I used with Mozilla 1.2.1. When I use this
one with 1.3a, no spam is identified. Even after selecting a mail, marking it as
junk and then running junk mail controls identifies it as non-junk.

This problem also occurs if you create a new profile with Mozilla 1.3a.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create a new profile with Mozilla 1.3a
2. Create an email account, download some mail, and mark some of it as spam.
Then select the mails you have just marked as spam, and run junk mail controls
on them.


Actual Results:  
All the messages are identified as non-junk.

Expected Results:  
At least some of these mails should be considered junk mail, because the junk
criteria were just trained with this set of mails.

I know spam filters don't fire immediately, only when there's enough training
data. However, I've marked a lot of stuff spam with Mozilla 1.3a, and filters
still don't fire.

This problem does not occur if the profile you are using has been run with junk
mail controls enabled in some build prior to 1.3a (I don't kinow which one I ran
last, probably something around Dec 10 or so).

I consider this a major bug, since the spam filter is *the* reason people will
upgrade to 1.3a.

Comment 1

15 years ago
Doesn't work on mine either:
WinXP
Previously using 1.2 (not 1.2.1) with one IMAP account.  Uninstalled older
version, installed 1.3a.  Imported two pop email accounts, one with a several
thousand messages, the other with tens of thousands of messages.

Anticipating this feature, I've been saving my spam for the last few weeks and
have a folder with 700+ spam.  I marked them all junkmail, but new mail coming
in doesn't get marked either way, and if I request the junkmail operation on the
marked spam, it unmarks them.

As stated above, this is *the* reason I upgraded.  Hopefully it'll be easy to
resolve in the short term, and fixed in the long term.

-Adam

Comment 2

15 years ago
Addendum to above:
I turned on the junkmail log, and there appears to be no log output (textbox is
empty).

I've restarted Mozilla several times to no avail.

The imported pop accounts were both previously used on a seperate machine with
1.2 as well.
(Reporter)

Comment 3

15 years ago
Hi,

after further testing, I see I was wrong - the filters do fire now, they just
took a bit more time than in the pre-releases (which makes perfect sense, since
Mozilla 1.3a is more likely to be used by the public than nightlies).

Sorry for the complaint!
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 15 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
Product: MailNews → Core
Product: Core → MailNews Core
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.