User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030211 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030211 Toolbar fonts are stupidly large. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1.compile mozilla 1.3b for linux 2. 3. Actual Results: Stupidly large fonts. Expected Results: Some QA for the release.
Details? In particular: 1) What DPI are you running yet? 2) Are you using Xinerama or the like? 3) What are the default fonts set to in your GTK theme? (as a note, I am _not_ seeing this problem in Linux trunk build 2003-02-12-08).
What build options did you use?
And do you see this problem in the released Linux binaries? (which have been tested, since you seem to be wondering)
This was the full source build release 1.3b, 1.3a was ok. This is a source based distro and I've been building mozilla for the last year.The following canned script has always worked. The gtk fonts I am using are monospace 12/14. export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1 export BUILD_OFFICIAL=1 ./configure --disable-tests \ --disable-debug \ --enable-optimize="$CFLAGS" \ --with-system-jpeg \ --with-system-zlib \ --with-system-png \ --with-system-mng \ --enable-crypto
Created attachment 114298 [details] Picture of working 1.3a build with same configuration. Almost picture perfect, this is the 1.3a build on the same system with the same configuration.
Created attachment 114299 [details] Wacky application fonts with 1.3b build I regret that I can't provide a screenshot showing how huge the menus are when they overlap the whole page.
Created attachment 114383 [details] Mozilla fonts build correctly from 2003-01-22 This image was built today on the 2003-01-22 source. I know that the coding problem with the fonts occurs between the 22 & 26th of January this year because I retested the source from the 26th yesterday. I was a little put off that the fonts were still wrong on a release even if it was beta. As to the version of gtk+ that I am using it is 2.0.9. It is a Gnome system I have removed all traces of anything that uses QT libraries. Since this is a source built distro I can tell you the version of anything you want to know on the system. So if I can help in any way please ask. Thanks!
Are you sure it was a change in that time period. The changes then were: http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsquery.cgi?treeid=default&module=MozillaTinderboxAll&branch=HEAD&branchtype=match&dir=&file=&filetype=match&who=&whotype=match&sortby=Date&hours=2&date=explicit&mindate=2003-01-22+00%3A00&maxdate=2003-01-27+00%3A00&cvsroot=%2Fcvsroot (Might the change have related to, say, which version of GTK you were building against -- for example, if you installed a new version of GTK or removed an old version? Do you have a version of GTK 1.2 installed on your system as well, because that's what we should use by default.)
Yes, I missed that, gtk+ version 1.2.10 is installed with 2.0.9. But, two nights ago I compiled the nightly from 2003-01-26 and got the oversized fonts. Last night I compiled the 2003-01-22 nightly and got the fonts in the better looking .png. I had tried a couple times over the last couple of weeks to compile a nightly that had better looking fonts. When the beta came out I got a little upset that the release version still had the problem. So since I'm building binary packages from every compile, I'll compile each of three successive days until I get the ugly fonts. At least you'll know which day was the first that created the problem.
Some of the earlier versions are no longer available for testing so the only thing I can say is that the problem came up between the release 1.3a and the 26th of January. If nobody else has reported this problem with the strange fonts, then it may be unique to my system and the ticket can be closed. Please let me know if there are any suggestions how to change this.
I have the same problem with the RedHat 7.x rpms for mozilla 1.3b, and I did not have the problems with 1.3a.
I'm seeing some wacky fonts myself with the distributed RH 7.x RPMs on my dad's laptop, but the problem doesn't show up in a build I did myself to debug the issue.
I have upgraded to 1.3 (still rpms) and still have the giant font problem. This did not occur with my 1.2 or 1.3a rpms.
I forgot to update my findings. For me the 1.3 release fixed the problem if I set the preferences to use system fonts instead of 96 DPI. Secondly I've tried two of the nightly 1.4a builds and the problem is completely gone. I'm not going to complain but now changing from 96 DPI to system fonts has no effect. I thought it was kind of cool to have the utopia font on my toolbar.
Thanks for the update. For the sake of completeness, I fixed my problem by doing the opposite -- switching *to* 96 DPI fonts *from* system fonts. Go figure.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 15 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
Geeze, forgot all about that. Later in the day of my last posting I switched distros from Sorcerer to Gentoo and never had another problem with Mozilla.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.