wrong accept_languages in HTTP-requests

RESOLVED EXPIRED

Status

()

Core
Localization
RESOLVED EXPIRED
15 years ago
13 years ago

People

(Reporter: Walter Mueller, Assigned: Robert Kaiser)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows XP
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

15 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-AT; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030312
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-AT; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030312

Mozilla with german language pack and german menus requests wrong language from
web server even if the settings under
Bearbeiten/Einstellungen/Navigator/Sprachen seems to be correct.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.create new english profile with mozilla -profilemanager
2.start with this profile
3.change prefs/appearance/language to german
4.restart mozilla
5.prefs/navigator/sprachen shows correct languages de-at , de, en-us, en
6 request web-page http://www2.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten/
Actual Results:  
navigator is still requesting pages with Accept-Language en-us; en
there is no user_pref("intl.accept_languages" ... added to users prefs.js


Expected Results:  
german version of page should be requested and retrieved.

 

my diag is that the default settings for the menu Navigator/Sprachen and for the
preferences in prefs.js seem to be inconsitent in the de-at localization

workaround for users: 
- manually add
   user_pref("intl.accept_languages", "de-at, de, en-us, en"); 
  to prefs.js 
- modify settings under prefs/navigator/Sprachen.
(Assignee)

Comment 1

15 years ago
prefs.js can't technically be different from the pref panels like Navigqtor >
Sprachen, as the pref panels do read the values from prefs.js - could you look
into about:config what value it does show for intl.accept_languages?
(Reporter)

Comment 2

15 years ago
you are right, accept_languages in about:config is:
intl.accept_languages is Standard String de-at,de,en-us,en

Nevertheless pages are retrieved with:
  Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
(confirmed by a network trace)

Once more what I am actually doing is:
1. prepare/have a Profile with prefs.js like the one below
   "general.useragent.locale", "de-AT" no "intl.accept_languages" line
2. Start mozilla; profile-manager appears in !english! ; select this profile
3. pages are retrieved with Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
4. double click on value of intl.accept_languages under about:config
5. confirm value with OK value will now be "vom Benutzer gesetzt" 
6. reload page -> page will be retrieved in german 
   BTW: prefs.js now contains intl.accept_languages "de-at,de,en-us,en"

This is the complete startup prefs.js from step 1:
user_pref("browser.bookmarks.added_static_root", true);
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone", "rv:1.3");
user_pref("general.useragent.locale", "de-AT");
user_pref("intl.charset.default", "ISO-8859-15");
user_pref("intl.charsetmenu.browser.cache", "UTF-8, ISO-8859-15");
user_pref("mail.smtpservers", "");
user_pref("mail.ui.folderpane.version", 3);
user_pref("mailnews.start_page.url", "");
user_pref("mailnews.ui.threadpane.version", 2);
user_pref("network.cookie.cookieBehavior", 0);
user_pref("prefs.converted-to-utf8", true);
user_pref("signon.SignonFileName", "48702471.s");
user_pref("timebomb.first_launch_time", "1048702442312500");
user_pref("wallet.SchemaValueFileName", "48702471.w");

--
BTW: If I switch from a correctly working de-AT profile with Tools/"Profil
wechseln" (dialog now appears in german) to a profile like the one above,
navigator still requests german web pages.

My new assumption - this will be the last one ;-) is:
Localized defaults as intl.accept_languages="de-at,de,en-us,en" are not reloaded
when the locale is changed.
(Assignee)

Comment 3

15 years ago
Hmm, this seems somehow strange...
Of course, this is no langauge pack specific bug, so over to browser developers...
Component: German-Austria/de-AT → Localization
Product: Mozilla Localizations → Browser
Version: unspecified → Trunk
(Reporter)

Comment 4

15 years ago
some aditional info:

navigator will use correct accept-language settings if
- mozilla is started specifying the profile 
  mozilla.exe -P no_accept_lang
or if 
- mozilla is started with german UI and profile is selected manually
  mozilla.exe -UILocale de-AT
or if 
- only a single profile exists
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01".

This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that
bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are
highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code.

While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we
are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce
this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a
copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and
you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug
(given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more
reproduction information if you have it.

If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not
changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

The latest beta releases can be obtained from:
Firefox:     http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html
Seamonkey:   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above
comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.