Closed Bug 199929 Opened 21 years ago Closed 21 years ago
Mozilla extremely slow at noticing /etc/resolv
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; en-US; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030312 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; en-US; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030312 I'm forever going into and out of VPN mode on my Linux box. Whenever I do, my /etc/resolv.conf file is changed to match the new environment. With Mozilla mail running, I find that it takes AGES for Mozilla to figure out some major network change has occured, and that maybe it should see if the /etc/resolv.conf file has been changed. I know this via tcpdump - you can see Mozilla using the now defunct DNS IP addresses instead of the ones referred to in the current /etc/resolv.conf Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Log into an IMAP server on the Internet 2.go into a VPN-mode - now your IMAP server has an internal address according to the now-live DNS 3. Find that Mozilla is still trying to connect to that IMAP server via it's Internet address instead of the internal address. Actual Results: Mozilla hangs. To be honest, I don't know what fixes it. I just keep going offline/online until it starts working again - restarting Mozilla would probably be quicker... Expected Results: How about whenever Mozilla has to wait >10 sec for any new connection, it rechecks the /etc/resolv.conf file to see if it's been changed, and if so, re-reads it. I assume it's actually reading it instead of relying on libresolv, as wouldn't the latter "just work"? This has been annoying me ever since I started using Mozilla - sorry for not reporting it sooner. I'm really surprised no-one else has (I searched the bugs for "resolv.conf" and "name resolution" - Zaro Boogs...)
Go offline and online to force a reload (at least on linux) This isn't a mozilla issue; glibc caches the resolv.conf file. Also see bug 166479 *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 64857 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Closed: 21 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Mozilla doesn't read /etc/resolv.conf, it's the resolver-library that does that (part of the OS). The cause for your problem is that Mozilla caches DNS-address, to avoid a security bug, that that brings other bugs. See bug 162871, bug 151929 and bug 168566. The big problem is that you don't what DNS-data is right, and what is false. Workaround : click twice on the online/offline icon at the bottom right. That should clean the DNS-cache. The rest is up to the OS.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.