User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030313 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030313 Hello, (i really didnt know which component to put this bug in, so i used browser-general) i find the user interface very slow, my cpu usage reaches 100% quite often when using mozilla (i have a cpu load monitor on my taskbar to see this) and has been like this ever since i started using mozilla (although current versions are faster than older versions), some examples are 1. when clicking on the 'mail & newgroups' icon in my browser, my hard drive does not grind, but it takes about 2 seconds to open up 2. when inside the mail program, double clicking on a message to open it up takes about 1.5 seconds to open up 3. resizing the panels in the mail program has a quite a lag, off course it can't be immediate, but still, i think it should be much faster 4. etc... these are just small delays, but if u use mozilla quite often like i do, it can make quite a difference... this happens on linux, and to a lesser extent on win98se ... and i doubt its my system because compared to any other programs, mozilla's user interface is noticeably much slower ... i have tried compiling myself using some optimization flags on gcc 3.2.2 "-O2 -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer" but it did not help at all (although i heard other people say it did help them), btw, on linux i am using gtk-1.2 for mozilla my system: celeron II 733mhz (66mhz fsb), 128 meg ram (100 meg swap), Matrox G200 (16 meg AGP) vid card, i use slackware 9.0 with icewm i've heard some people say it is due to XML, im not sure if this is true or not.. are there any ways for me to speed up? will it be faster in future releases? i dont think phoenix is suitable for me, it doesnt have mail client, also it seems to helps more on the memory side, not that much for CPU usage side though thankyou, Nehal Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce:
->mailnews, since the problems reported refer only to it.
Assignee: asa → sspitzer
Component: Browser-General → Mail Window Front End
Product: Browser → MailNews
QA Contact: asa → esther
well i didnt mean mailnews specifically, those are just the big ones, but since the major slow UI items are in mail+news i guess it's ok
I agreee with the original bug writer. Just simpling selecting a mail message spikes the cpu on my system and there is a short, but noticable delay in the message being displayed in the bottom pane. I have been using Netscape Comm. 4.79 to read email without any of these symptoms. It does get quite frustrating when pasrsing through dozens of messages. I noticed this in versions 1.6 and the latest 1.7b. My system configuration: Sun Microsystems Sunblade 100 1gb memory Solaris 9 gtk-2.2.4 CDE Windowing Mozilla 1.7b build id# 2004042303
I had the delay in opening emails as well. Deleting and moving too. It was getting to the point where I was going to switch to Thunderbird to see if it was better. I have already tried reinstalling Mozilla with no luck. Compacting the folders also did not help. Poking around in the Mozilla files, I found that my Inbox file was HUGE (5 MB) when I had only 20K of email in it. This is what I did to resolve it: Moved the 3 emails to a new folder. Exited Mozilla mail Found the Inbox file and deleted it. Created a new 0 byte Inbox file. Restarted Mozilla Mail moved messages back to Inbox. I don't know why, but the 5 MB Inbox file seemed to really drag on performance. I am surprised that compacting the folder did not resolve it. Performance is back to how I expect it to be now. Keep up the good work on Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird!
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01". This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code. While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug (given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more reproduction information if you have it. If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved. Thank you for your help in this matter. The latest beta releases can be obtained from: Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.