different profiles have different concept of which version of mozilla I have

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

SeaMonkey
General
RESOLVED INVALID
15 years ago
13 years ago

People

(Reporter: Dan Price, Assigned: asa)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows XP

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

15 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030401
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030401


Following the installation of 1.3b, my primary mozilla profile has remained
"convinced" that I am running 1.3b, despite repeated attempts to install 1.3
and 1.4a.  This is most apparent from the version string in about:mozilla.
Despite the fact that I'm positive I'm running 1.4a, it really thinks I
still have 1.3b.  When I generate a new profile in the same installation,
it correctly identifies that I am using 1.4a in about:mozilla.

I've gone to the trouble of moving aside my mozilla installation and
reinstalling, but had no luck.  In both the 'upgrade' and 'fresh install'
cases, the install_status file reported a clean installation.  I've also
tried deleting the XUL.mfl file and generally looking around for problems
in my profile.

I'm not sure how to provide a test case here or what other data would be
helpful.  Let me know and I can post them as needed.  It is interesting to
note that the browser is sending the wrong user agent string, too,
when in the broken profile.


Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.

Comment 1

15 years ago
Did you install any add-ons with which you could modify the user_agent string?
(prefbar, uabar, ...?)
In your prefs.js file, is there a general.useragent.override preference? If so,
deleting that should fix the problem, and this bug should be marked invalid. 
(Not marking as such quite yet however, as I've seen a similar problem not too
long ago, where the pref wasn't set, and there wasn't an add-on responsible for
it; it went away by itself a few nightlies later, but if more people are seeing
this...)
(Reporter)

Comment 2

15 years ago
I haven't installed any such extensions.  However I did install stumbleupon
and leech; one of which may well have caused this problem.

You are correct: I've checked about:config and discovered that
general.useragent.misc was set to rv:1.3b.  I clicked 'reset' and it
fixed itself.  I also discovered that general.useragent.contentLocale
was set to "" and
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone was set to rv:1.3b.

Hopefully this will be a useful bug report for the next poor slob
who has this happen.  Thanks for the pointer in the right direction.
Marking this as INVALID.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 15 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
Product: Browser → Seamonkey
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.