Closed Bug 206009 Opened 17 years ago Closed 16 years ago

translating "Display Name" to hebrew hangs mozilla

Categories

(MailNews Core :: Localization, defect, critical)

x86
Windows XP
defect
Not set
critical

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

People

(Reporter: tsahi_75, Assigned: rchen)

Details

(Keywords: crash)

User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; he-IL; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030312
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; he-IL; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030312

translating the string at
http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/mailnews/addrbook/resources/locale/en-US/addressBook.properties#50
to hebrew crashes mozilla, if you select the collected addresses. i've seen this
at least since mozilla 1.0.0

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.translate the above string to hebrew (i didn't hear reports of other languages
with this problem). enter any text, it doesn't have to have a meaning :)
2.make sure you have a contact with a dislplay name field filled
3.select that contact from the personal address book
4.select collected addresses address book

Actual Results:  
mozilla hangs

Expected Results:  
collected addresses should appear
oops, didn't see mailnews has localization component too
Product: Browser → MailNews
Keywords: crash
This looks as if it might be related to bug 160211, which I never managed to
reproduce.
unlike bug 160211, in this bug, mozilla hangs even if the contact is all in english.

CCing mwolf, who originally found the source of the hang.
I can't reproduce this one either. Is it a crash (as in the summary) or a hang
(as in the comments). If a crash, do you have a talkback ID?
I tested the he-IL langpack 02 for Mozilla 1.3 and the issue occurs only if the
name field of 1 address book contact is empty. Then Mozilla freezes when you
want to go from one contact to another. If the name field isn't empty for all
contact this issue doesn't occur.

Michael Wolf
Summary: translating "Display Name" to hebrew crashes mozilla → translating "Display Name" to hebrew hangs mozilla
the beta pack i released
(http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/hebmoz/langheil1.3v0.2.xpi) has the "Display
Name" in english, to prevent the hang. did you try to localize it?

the problem you describe is different, and i think i encountered it in the past,
but maybe didn't report it yet.
I changed the propertyDisplayName and propertyScreenName strings to Hebrew and
the problem doesn't occur if the name field has valid values (names) for all
contacts. I tested it with your 1.3v02 langpack.
since i couldn't reproduce this myself in mozilla 1.4, i'm closing on WFM.

my latest pack, for mozilla 1.4, has a bug in editing address book cards. i'll
upload a fixed pack today or tomorrow to my site, and i assume MLP staff will
update mozilla.org in a few days.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Closed: 16 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
Product: MailNews → Core
Product: Core → MailNews Core
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.