User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030522 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030522 Inserting half-width (e.g. ASCII) characters in front of full-width Japanese characters in edit boxes corrupts the Japanese characters. Removing the half-width characters corrects the problem. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Go to URL provided (www.google.co.jp with search string) 2. See that the Japanese characters in the search string edit box are corrupt. 3. Delete the leading 'x' character from the search string edit box. 4. See that the Japanese characters are now OK. Actual Results: The Japanese characters are corrupted whenever half-with characters are inserted at the beginning of the edit box. When the half-width characters are removed, the problem goes away. Expected Results: Japanese characters should be displayed in edit boxes consistently, regardless of whether there are half-width characters at the beginning of the line. The same problem exists with bookmark titles and tab titles. Inserting half-width characters between Japanese characters doesn't seem to cause the problem. It's only when the half-width characters are at the beginning of the line. Mozilla 1.3 was built from source using the Gentoo Linux package manager "emerge". The Gentoo Linux package is mozilla-1.3-r1, which uses (among others) the fontconfig-2.2.0-r2 package. fontconfig has caused other problems with Japanese fonts, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was implicated. The Japanese font used is the Kochi Mincho TrueType font (kochi-mincho.ttf) from http://www.on.cs.keio.ac.jp/~yasu/linux/fonts/
It works for me with 05-27 trunk build on linux RH8.0 with system default Japanese font. It also works for me by using the Kochi Mincho TrueType font (kochi-mincho.ttf), I downloaded the font from: http://www.on.cs.keio.ac.jp/~yasu/linux/fonts/kochi-mincho-0.2.20020727.tar.bz2
I tried mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.3.1.tar.gz from mozilla.org and (of course!) it worked OK, though the fonts looked different. My Gentoo Linux build of Mozilla handles fonts differently, using libXft.so.2.0, libfontconfig.so.1.0.4 and libfreetype.so.6.3.3 among others. So it must be one of those which has messed things up, rather than Mozilla itself. So I'll report this to the Gentoo Linux people and hopefully they can progress it at their end. Sorry for the inconvenience. And thank you.
I found the problem. It turns out that Gentoo's xfree-4.3.0-r2 package provides its own version of libXft in /usr/X11R6/lib, while Mozilla was picking up an old version in /usr/lib. Removing the old libXft fixed the problem. Kochi Mincho doesn't look as good now, but that's another issue.
Mark as verified per previous comment.