All users were logged out of Bugzilla on October 13th, 2018
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.3.1) Gecko/20030425 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.3.1) Gecko/20030425 The summary pretty much says it all; I have few stability issues with 1.3.1, but 1.4RC1 won't execute at all without crashing. This includes the quick launch thingie; I tried a reboot, and the same thing happened. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Install Moz 1.4RC1 onto my Win2k box 2. Try to run (presumably) any component of it Actual Results: crash Expected Results: run It said an error log was being created, but I couldn't find it (in my brief and uninformed search).
Yup this is correct - but it's generally the case that you have installed over the top of a previous Mozilla install. If this is the case then all you have to to is uninstall Mozilla completely and then reinstall (probably also worth deleting C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\) While this fixes the problem - it's not a good fix - the reality here is that people WILL install mozilla over the top and will not think about uninstalling previous versions. I would suggest either a) A clean up process is added to the beginning of the Mozilla installer to remove previous versions (but of course not any user data) (Fairly involved) b) I dialog box appears warning the user that a previous version exists and should be uninstalled first (easier)
Reporter: Have you installed addons in your old build ? If yes : install in a clean directory.. (uninstall, delete the whole mozilla application directory except the plugins subdirectory and reinstall mozilla)
Severity: blocker → major
Actually, this was a "clean" install in that I did do an uninstall (via Control Panel) before I installed 1.4RC1. Basically, I did the same thing I've done with previous Mozilla upgrades (going from 1.3 to 1.3.1, for instance), and this is the first time I've seen this behavior. I think I did install some add-ons in 1.3.1....when I get back home I'll uninstall and wipe the mozilla directory (as commentor #2 suggested), then try the 1.4RC1 install again.
I reinstalled with cleaning out the non-"Plugins" directories, and all appears to be fine now.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 123907 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 16 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.