Click once on search button, no response, click twice, system locks up. Same with search on internet menu item. bulid 1999121208
Assigning to rjc, i think he owns this
note: I duplicated this on my win95 box on today's 12/13 M12 candidate builds, putting on M12 radar
Summary: clicking search button and using search menu locks up machine → [PP]clicking search button and using search menu locks up machine
works brightly, brightly, and with beauty on 1999121308 mac and Linux builds. This Win32 Only.
More info needed: does this work on Win98 and/or WinNT ?
Okay, so far it doesn't work on Win95 or WinNT. Upon the first click the following error is printed to the console: Error: Can't load: resource:///chrome/search/content/default/search.xul (80004005) Upon second click we get: OpenSearch searchStr: 'http://ww.mozilla.org/' where mozilla.org is the URL I was currently browsing. At which point the app hangs. My keen powers of detection have noticed that there is no 'Search' folder in the chrome directory that is installed with my build, although it is there on the other platforms. Nonetheless we shouldn't be hanging the app in such an instance, so maybe this is two bugs.
All hail Claudius! I think you've hit upon the problem (indeed, two problems): Problem #1: I think something like bin\chrome\search\* needs to be added into the appropriate spot in "mozilla\xpinstall\packager\packages-win" (both Mac and Unix packages have something similar, but Windows does not.) I have **no idea** how to test this theory out though. Who owns the xpinstall stuff? Problem #2: the crash if a chrome component isn't available. Smells like a problem with the Chrome: handler [maybe Hyatt? Not 100% sure.]
I think Sean Su owns xpinstall stuff on windows, cc:ing him
Let's give this bug to Sean. :^)
okay, I've verified that by copying ...\chrome\search to the seamonkey\chrome\search, the search button works. I've update the packages-win with the what was indicated in this bug report. Has been bug been approved for M12 (I know it says M12), like PDT+? FYI: I do not own the contents of packages-win. Whoever owns the ...\chrome\search needs to maintain his/her set of deliverable file list. For now I can fix this. Let me know what's up with this bug.
I should be clearer. The updated packages-win is sitting on my system, not yet checked in. Please let me know what to do with it.
cc:ing chofmann, looking for approval for M12
Note to all: just because the package lists happen to live in xpinstall doesn't mean they are the responsibility of the xpinstall team. You want your stuff delivered, you make sure it shows up in the package lists. Sometime soon we will be decentralising the package lists to make this clearer.
Note(s): I claim ownership of the "search" stuff. I would have been happy to check in this fix IFF I knew how to test it afterwards. Without that knowledge, I'm not going to randomly check stuff into the tree. How about some documentation on how to exercise the install process after adding/modifying a package file?
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 19 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
I've went ahead with updating the packages-win to copy chrome/search/*. This was a one line change in that file. If it happens to deliver more files than necessary, we can trim it later. Extra files is better than missing files causing crashes. I wanted to make sure it got into the next build for testing (in case this was holding up M12). packages-mac and packages-unix were already doing this exact copy. We're now up to platform parity. rjc: Please verify that all the files in chrome/search are all needed on the windows platform.
Thanks, ssu. :^) Indeed, all the files in chrome/search are needed.
VERIFIED fixed with the 1999121516 builds
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.