User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030807 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030807 Most of the text on this page: http://download.att.net/dbsitelet/index.html?WNS977NET is very splotch, for example, the paragraph under the "superior performance at a price you'll like" is not readable. As far as I know, there's nothing special about my Mozilla font setup (they're all set to the default adobe-courier-iso8859-1). Any other page I've looked at over the last couple of months has been rendered very well. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. 2. 3.
Which exact build are you using (which file did you download)? In particular, is this an xft build? Do you see the bug with the normal mozilla.org tarball (not rpm, not installer, just .tar.gz)?
The build is what came with Ximian's XD2 desktop (I'm afraid to mess up things by installing the official mozilla tarball over the top of XD2). Here's what I see on Mozilla's "about mozilla" page: Mozilla 1.4 Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030807 Is this useful? Is there anything other information I can provide without installing the tarball?
Scott, type "about:buildconfig" in the URL bar, hit enter, then paste all that information into this bug, please.
Here you go: about:buildconfig Build platform target i686-pc-linux-gnu Build tools Compiler Version Compiler flags /usr/bin/gcc gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5) -Wall -W -Wno-unused -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long -pthread -pipe /usr/bin/g++ gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5) -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -Wall -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-long-long -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe -I/usr/X11R6/include Configure arguments --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --localstatedir=/var --silent --enable-nspr-autoconf --without-system-nspr --without-system-jpeg --without-system-png --without-system-mng --disable-gtktest --disable-freetype2 --enable-xft --disable-xprint --enable-crypto --enable-extensions=default,irc --disable-installer --disable-tests --disable-debug '--enable-optimize=-O2\ -w' --disable-dtd-debug --enable-chrome-format=jar --with-default-mozilla-five-home=/usr/lib/mozilla-1.4 --disable-pedantic --disable-long-long-warning --disable-glibtest --enable-meta-components --enable-strip-libs --enable-elf-dynstr-gc --enable-strip --enable-reorder --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2
gtk2/xft stuff, to Chris.
Can you attach a screenshot?
Impressive. What happens if you increase the font size?
It looks normal if I increase the proportional font from 11pt to 12 pt. Here are my font settings: Proportional: San Serif 11 (when it looks bad) serif: microsoft-georgio-iso8859-1 sans-serif: montype-arial-iso8859-1 ... Monospace: monotype-courier-new-iso8859-1, 12 pt minimum font size none One other thing that may be relevant. I have anti-aliasing turned off, following advice from /usr/share/doc/gtk2-2.0.6/README). in my .bash_prfile I've added: GDK_USE_XFT=0 export GDK_USE_XFT
That's not just disabling anti-aliasing, that's disabling all of Xft and falling back to the old core X font code. That's probably going to be uuuuugly.
Oh, I don't know, I think everthing looks much better with GDK_USE_XFT=0. TrueType fonts have clean, sharp edges, just like they do in Windows (I know that Windows does anti-aliasing but they manage to make it look good). Anyway, this setting was the only way I could get anti-aliasing turned off everyhere. But I guess that this is a Mozilla bug report. If the problem is reproducible by anyone but me, and would this setting be the cause?
To turn off antialiasing, just turn it off in fonts.conf. GDK_USE_XFT controls the font backend implementation, not antialiasing. (It turns off antialiasing as a side effect since old core fonts code doesn't support it; but Xft can also render without antialiasing).
Except for bug 176334. *cough*
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01". This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code. While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug (given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more reproduction information if you have it. If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved. Thank you for your help in this matter. The latest beta releases can be obtained from: Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.