I am using build 1999121712 on Win95 OSR2. I was just browsing a CNN story (which I pulled and saved as URL) when I noticed that some of the hotspots on the text hyperlinks are really screwed up - some so screwed up they are not hyperlinks anymore. If you'll go to the page pointed to by the URL and look down the right hand side of the article, you'll see CNN has provided several uhh.. boxes with additional stuff pertaining to the article. The hotspot malfuncitons seem to be confined to these right hand side boxes. For instance, find the box titled Resources. Inside there is a poll pertaining to the article. Peruse the "View Results" hyperlink with your mouse cursor. Mine shows that only the one pixel high line the underlines the words is a hotspot, not the words themselves. In the next two boxes below Resources, "Message Board" and "Also" neither of the two hyperlinks in those boxes display any hyperlink behaviour at all. Higher up in the page, in the "Video" box you will see an odd mix of behaviour. The Quicktime "Play" link seems to only have a hotspot on its underline. The two Real "28K" and "80K" links appear to have normal hyperlink hotspots over all the link. Then just below the Windows Media "28K" and "80K" hyperlinks don't have any hotspots at all. I'm going to try and boil this page down to a simple testcase, but I've got a good bit on my plate right now so I don't know how soon that will be.
I've attached a simple (use that term loosely) testcase and changed the component to Layout because of the odd behaviour I see in manipulating the testcase. Basically I've left the structure of the original CNN page the same, just chopped out a lot of tables and some content inside the table cells that I left. First before I get flamed for calling the testcase simple, let me say that deleting more of the original content does not make the bug go away, but it does alter its behaviour. So... I left it for the boys that know more than I to play with. Anyway, if you look at the testcase, I think you'll see the exact behaviour with the hotspots as described for the URL document. If however you start deleting more of the "story" content, the text that runs down the left side of the boxes doesn't quite run the length of the boxes anymore. When that happens, the location and size of the hotspots for the hyperlinks in the boxes on the right side change. In one permutation I actually had hotspots showing up between the lines of actual hyperlinks. Since the hotspots were hoping around depending on the layout of the text to its left, I decided this is probably a good problem for the Layout component dept.
Looks event related
Spam for bug 129472