Entities are broken in HTML mail send

VERIFIED FIXED in M13

Status

MailNews Core
MIME
P3
normal
VERIFIED FIXED
18 years ago
10 years ago

People

(Reporter: nhottanscp, Assigned: nhottanscp)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows NT

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(1 attachment)

(Assignee)

Description

18 years ago
I used win32 build 1999-12-21-09-M13. I don't know if this is a regression from
M12.
When I sent a HTML mail with a trade mark (on windows, holding Alt and type 153
on numeric key pad). Received message contains ™ instead of ™.
As a result, the broken entity is shown in the message view as "™".
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Blocks: 20062
(Assignee)

Comment 1

18 years ago
On M12, mozilla freezes with the same operation. I think it is the infinite loop
fixed recently in M13.

Comment 2

18 years ago
This will have to be release noted for M12 as users trying
to input Windows-1252 only characters under Latin 1 encoding
send, Latin 1 characters under JPN send, etc. will run
into this freezing problem.

Updated

18 years ago
Assignee: rhp → mozilla

Comment 3

18 years ago
Ben,
I've noticed this with parsing some I18N messages as well.

- rhp

Updated

18 years ago
Component: Composition → MIME
Target Milestone: M13

Comment 4

18 years ago
nhotta,
If ScanHTML is fed with Unicode (neither "nbsp" nor "™"), the
problem should go away. I thought, you were working on that?

rhp,
didn't the additional else statement (mozTXTToHTMLConv.cpp, Version 1.7)
make it into M12?

Comment 5

18 years ago
> rhp,
> didn't the additional else statement (mozTXTToHTMLConv.cpp, Version 1.7)
> make it into M12?

Nope. They branched before then and I've been on my back the past 1 1/2 days
fighting the flu.
(Assignee)

Comment 6

18 years ago
>nhotta,
>If ScanHTML is fed with Unicode (neither "nbsp" nor "™"), the
>problem should go away. I thought, you were working on that?
I have proposed ScanHTML to move to nsMsgSend.cpp from nsMsgSendPart.cpp.
I do not plan to change the code myself but I can test both entity and i18n
cases once your patch is ready.

Comment 7

18 years ago
Sorry, but I can't make this change, as I don't understand the data flow or the
corresponding code. I just wrote mozTXTToHTMLConv.
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Assignee: mozilla → nhotta
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
(Assignee)

Comment 8

18 years ago
OK, I'll try to relocate ScanHTML. In case of any internal problem in
mozTXTToHTMLConv, I'll reassign to you.
(Assignee)

Comment 9

18 years ago
Created attachment 3754 [details] [diff] [review]
patch for the bug
(Assignee)

Comment 10

18 years ago
I attached a diff. Rich, could you review it?
I have tested HTML mails with url strings (e.g., http://home.netscape.com,
nhotta@netscape.com), an entity ™ and a simple Japanese text (copied from
bug 18410).
I don't know much about ScanHTML itself so probably more extensive testing
needed by the author (mozilla@bucksch.org).
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 18 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
(Assignee)

Comment 11

18 years ago
The fix checked in.
For verification, please also test Japanese mail which had a problem before.

Comment 12

18 years ago
Changed QA contact to momoi as it involves intl data testing.
QA Contact: lchiang → momoi

Comment 13

18 years ago
** Checked with 1/20/00 Win32 build **

The trademark and other HTML entities are now correctly encoded.
Also the crash I reported when I mixed Latin 1 entities with Japanese msg send
is gone from this build.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Product: MailNews → Core
Product: Core → MailNews Core
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.