This bug has appeared in the 1.5 release and has been seen on Windows NT and 2000. It did not occur in any of the previous releases. Its presence means that upgrading from Netscape Mail 4 to Mozilla Mail 1.5 is no longer possible, without non-obvious workarounds. With 1.5, the Local Folders "account" is only created when the user clicks finish in the create new account dialog. Until Local Folders exists, the Copies & Folders settings (and probably other settings) for all accounts are broken. This would not normally be a problem, as you can't get to these settings for an account, without first creating the account via the new account dialog. However, this is not the case when accounts are created via a converted netscape profile. The symptons of this are that copies of sent mail are not kept, and any attempts to modify the Copies and Folders settings fail. Changes to these settings appear to be made, but immediately re-opening the preferences shows that they have all been reset back to their initial, broken state. To reproduce: - Install a fresh mozilla 1.5, and convert a profile from netscape that contains a working email account configuration - Start mozilla using the converted profile and launch Mail if necessary - The new account wizard is now displayed (it wasn't in any previous version). As all account settings have been imported from netscape, this is spurious so you can only really click Cancel. - Note that the Local Folders "account" has not been created. In previous versions it would have been. - Go to Edit -> Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings and change the preferences for where to place a copy of sent messages. Click OK and then go back in to the preferences. Note that the changes haven't been applied. - Try sending an email. Note that no copies have been saved. Workaround: - Use the new account wizard to create a dummy account with any old settings - Immediately remove the dummy account and Click OK in the Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings dialog - This causes the Local Folders "account" to be created, and everything starts working again.
How could this be installer in the browser component ? This looks like a Mailnews problem and the component should be "Profile migration"
Assignee: general → sspitzer
Component: Installer → Profile Migration
Product: Browser → MailNews
QA Contact: bugzilla → esther
I'm pretty sure our recent spate of improvements to 4.x profile migration on the trunk addresses this bug.
I have just downloaded the latest-trunk build for mozilla win32, which is build id 2003102804. I can confirm that the bug no longer exists in this version. This is excellent news - thanks to all concerned! One minor issue is that mail that was saved in Sent on the folders for a particular pop account under Netscape 4, now seems to get stored in Local Folders after migration to this version of Mozilla. I'll look into this further and create a new bug if necessary. Were the changes required to fix this bug "low risk"? If so, would it be possible to backport this fix to 1.5 in time for a 1.5.1 release if one occurs for windows?
I have the same problem on when moving from Mozilla 1.5 -> 1.6 and switching machines at the same time. I copied my profile from the old machine to the new machine, following the instructions in the Mozilla 1.5 FAQ, 7.9 "How do I transport my profile to a different machine." Everything seems to work fine, but now I cannot change the Copies & Folders settings for my lone account. Notes: * The Local Folders "account' *is* visible. * Creating and removing a dummy account does not help. * The preferences in the pref.js file *do* seem to exist for the fcc: user_pref("mail.identity.id1.fcc_folder", "mailbox://.../Sent"); * But sent mail never ends up in the Sent folder. * Returning the the Copies & Folders screen shows that all controls are unset, as if there was a problem reading the prefs and the controls are set to their defaults every time. * Restarting Mozilla doesn't seem to have any effect. Any ideas?
Additional info. If I create a new account, I can set the Copies & Folder for it. My woraround to the problems was to create a new account, move all my mail over to it, and remove the old, "broken" account. When I tried to remove the old account, however, I got the error "Failed to remove account." Nevertheless, the old account was gone.
sorry for the spam. making bugzilla reflect reality as I'm not working on these bugs. filter on FOOBARCHEESE to remove these in bulk.
Assignee: sspitzer → nobody
Filter on "Nobody_NScomTLD_20080620"
QA Contact: esther → profile-migration
Product: Core → MailNews Core
Removing relnote keyword from bugs that are no longer significant or not needing to be mentioned in the release notes.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.