Closed Bug 225292 Opened 16 years ago Closed 15 years ago

memory corruption; page data and other stuff from one window appearing in another

Categories

(SeaMonkey :: General, defect, major)

x86
Linux
defect
Not set
major

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED EXPIRED

People

(Reporter: wfbrodie, Unassigned)

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031024
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031024

One window has Oxford Dictionary open in it, the other has an online shopping
webpage.  OED text (see attachment) and some gibberish is appearing in the
rendering of the shopping webpage.

force-reloading it caused the corruption to go away; I've not been able to
reproduce it.

Reproducible: Couldn't Reproduce

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open musiclab.net.au in one window, browse around a bit
2. Open dictionary.oed.com in another window (1 hour+ later)
3. Click on link in musiclab, see corruption (5 mins later)

Actual Results:  
Text (and other data) from OED appearing in musiclab page.  It looks like the
data got in before the HTML parser - the input buffer being corrupted.


Expected Results:  
Keep input buffer disjoint from parse & render output ;)

The browser has not become unstable since the corruption (same process is still
running and I'm submitting this bugreport with it).

This has occurred only once and is not a major problem for me.  But it would
indicate that a pointer is escaping and has the opportunity to do more
significant damage in other circumstances.

I believe the hardware to be reasonably stable - it regularly has uptimes in the
multiple months, taken down only for kernel upgrades and NFS failures.  Machine
load at the time of corruption was high (100% utilisation, 700MB of 1GB RAM in
use), but no data appears to have got in from outside the mozilla process.  I 
trust the linux process model more than that anyway :)

One possible trigger is that /home may have been full at the time of corruption.
 I guess a failed write to the cache that is not caught might cause problems. 
Especially if a later read is not properly checked - it is just possible that
the page I went to was already visited and had been unsuccessfully installed in
the local cache.
as you can see, I'd just looked up 'embracement' in the OED.
Do you still see this on Mozilla 1.7 RC1 or later?

This looks somewhat like bug 241085.
Product: Browser → Seamonkey
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01".

This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that
bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are
highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code.

While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we
are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce
this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a
copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and
you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug
(given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more
reproduction information if you have it.

If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not
changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

The latest beta releases can be obtained from:
Firefox:     http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html
Seamonkey:   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above
comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Closed: 15 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.