broadcaster id="Communicator:workmode" error at startup

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

SeaMonkey
General
--
major
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
15 years ago
14 years ago

People

(Reporter: Fred Chavarria, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows 2000

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

15 years ago
User-Agent:       
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007

I use Mozilla in a terminal server environment.  I was using version 1.3 without
issue until a few days ago.  I upgraded to version 1.5 and now users are getting
a message at the botton on the screen that reads:
broadcaster id="Communicator:Workmode"
In addition, The File and Edit menu commands are gone and none of the bookmarks
work.  This means I have no way of checking preferences within mozilla to look
for problem areas.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start mozilla
2.
3.

Actual Results:  
Mozilla opens with the message 
broadcaster id="Communicator:Workmode"

Expected Results:  
Should open and display the homepage.

Comment 1

15 years ago
When you upgraded to 1.5, did you install Mozilla to an empty directory or
simply install over the old version? The installer should prompt you not to copy
over an old version, but sometimes it happens anyway. Installing over previous
versions without completely deleting the folder they were in first can sometimes
lead to really bizarre circumstances like this. Also, does this happen with a
compltely new profile too?
(Reporter)

Comment 2

15 years ago
When I upgraded to Mozilla 1.5, I installed over the last version.  Perhaps you
are correct and the installation just didn't happen as it should have.  Since
some of the menu items are missing, I am unable to use the profile manager to
create a new profile to answer the question.  I will uninstall Mozilla and the
delete the c:\program files\mozilla.org folder.  Once I have reinstalled, I will
report on whether this resolved the situation.
be sure that you don't delete the plugins subfolder and if that doesn't fix it
but a new profile does, delete the the file Mozilla-Profile/chrome.rdf (or
better move  or rename it).
(Reporter)

Comment 4

15 years ago
Well, I uninstalled mozilla, deleted the mozilla.org folder and the problem
pesisted.  Next I deleted the profile, created a new one, and the problem
persisted.  Lastly, I tried renaming the chrome.rdf file and still the problem
persisted.  Nothing so far seems to get rid of this problem.  Any other ideas?
Do you also deleted c:\program files\common files\mozilla\ ?
(Reporter)

Comment 6

15 years ago
No, I didn't delete the c:\program files\common files\mozilla\ directory.  I
decided to look at it and could not find it.  Looks like Mozilla did not create
the folder.  I uninstalled yet again and reinstalled and now the c:\program
files\common files\mozilla\ directory is where it should be.  However, the
original problem still exists.  I just found an interesting quirk in the problem
though.  If I log into the same server using my login instead of one of the
users, mozilla works fine.  I have administrator rights on the server so the the
problem must exist with the level of access.  The earlier version of mozilla
worked just fine regardless of the level of access ot the server.  I hope this
extra bit of info sheds some light on the problem.

Comment 7

15 years ago
I'm still kind of stumped on this bug. Did you by any chance install any foreign
language packs on this copy of Mozilla (even British English or something like
that)? I've been trying to find any similar bugs, and there's only a couple on
file, all related to language packs being incompatible with a new version.
(Reporter)

Comment 8

15 years ago
I did not install any foreign language packs at all.  I ended up granting
administrator rights to the user for the mozilla folder and the problem went
away.  This problem only existed after I upgraded to Mozilla 1.5.  Once
administrator rights to the mozilla.org folder are granted, the problem
instantly goes away.  Not the best solution but it worked.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 15 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED

Comment 9

15 years ago
Thank you for following up. I'm going to reopen the bug then mark it worksforme,
since technically nothing was "fixed". Just a little housekeeping detail.
Status: RESOLVED → UNCONFIRMED
Resolution: FIXED → ---

Updated

15 years ago
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 15 years ago15 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
Product: Browser → Seamonkey
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.