Entering unicode values in the search field generates unexpected results

RESOLVED EXPIRED

Status

()

RESOLVED EXPIRED
15 years ago
10 years ago

People

(Reporter: jamiec, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
PowerPC
Mac OS X
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

15 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031112 Camino/0.7+
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031112 Camino/0.7+

This is a unicode bug problem and is related to bug 158590.
Entering in a unicode character in Safari (e.g. unicode 4E14) generates the
following URL when the Search button is pressed:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%E4%B8%94&btnG=Google+Search

By contrast, entering the value in Mozilla, Firebird or Camino when the text
encoding is set to unicode generates:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%E4%B8%94&btnG=Google+Search

Mozilla correctly displays the unicode character but the for processor always
treats it as ISO-8859-1.

Entering the unicode character into the Search fields in the menu bar seems to
generate the correct URL.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Check Apple->System Preferences->International->Input Menu->Character Paletter
2. Open Mozilla
3. Goto http://www.google.com
4. Make sure the coding is set to UTF-8 (View->Character Coding...)
5. Character Palette Menu->Show Character Paletter
6. Select unicode 4E14 from the Character Paletter
7. Drag and drop the character from the well in the lower left corner and drag
it into the search field on the http://www.google.com web page.
8. Press the search button.

Performing the same series of steps in Safari yields a more desirable outcome.

Also, using the google search tool bar item in Firebird and Camino results in a
search that is the same as Safari.
Actual Results:  
Generated the following URL:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%E4%B8%94&btnG=Google+Search


Expected Results:  
Should have generated the following URL:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%E4%B8%94&btnG=Google+Search

This is related to bug 158590.

Comment 1

15 years ago
When I goto http://google.com the HTML source sets ie and oe to UTF-8 .  Maybe
google is trying to detect what charecter set Mozilla can display and then set
the values accordingly.
WFM LInux 2003122007
The only way I can see what you see is by going to
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en .
Assignee: dveditz → nobody
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01".

This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that
bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are
highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code.

While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we
are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce
this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a
copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and
you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug
(given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more
reproduction information if you have it.

If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not
changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

The latest beta releases can be obtained from:
Firefox:     http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html
Seamonkey:   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above
comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED

Updated

10 years ago
Component: Form Manager → Form Manager
Product: Core → Toolkit
QA Contact: form.manager
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.