Interface Between Mozilla and Java RTE Fails to Setup Use of Java Plug-Ins

RESOLVED EXPIRED

Status

SeaMonkey
Installer
--
major
RESOLVED EXPIRED
14 years ago
13 years ago

People

(Reporter: David E. Ross, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows 98

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

14 years ago
User-Agent:       
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113

After upgrading from Mozilla 1.5 to Mozilla 1.6, I had to make manual changes to
my Windows registry in order to have full capability when browsing Web pages
that use Java plug-ins.  See <http://www.gemal.dk/archives/000271.html> for
details.  

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:


Actual Results:  
Without manual registry changes, some Web sites that use Java reported that I
either did not have the plug-in or that I had not enabled Java.  I did indeed
have the plug-in and had indeed enabled Java.  

Expected Results:  
Whether I install Java RTE and its plug-ins before installing Mozilla or I
install Java RTE after installing Mozilla, the interface between the two should
setup correctly.  

If this is a Java problem and not a Mozilla problem, then the Mozilla
organization should be working with Sun to correct this.  

At the least, installation instructions for Mozilla should explain how to make
Java plug-ins functional.  However, that is only an interim work-around as users
should not be expected to diddle their registries (something that can be
disasterous if done by the inexperienced).
did you use the installer or the .zip version of mozilla?
(Reporter)

Comment 2

14 years ago
I used the installer file mozilla-win32-1.6-installer.exe.  However, I installed
into a directory other than where I had Mozilla 1.5.  

After installing, I copied all Mozilla 1.5 plug-ins to Mozilla 1.6 and then
removed Mozilla 1.5.  

For a discussion of this problem, see the thread "Java Plug-In Problem" in the
<news:netscape.mozilla.user.general> newsgroup.  I posted the initial message on
29 January.  
Product: Browser → Seamonkey
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01".

This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that
bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are
highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code.

While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we
are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce
this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a
copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and
you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug
(given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more
reproduction information if you have it.

If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not
changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

The latest beta releases can be obtained from:
Firefox:     http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html
Seamonkey:   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above
comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.