Chatzilla crash made Mandrake 10.0 logout

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 283112

Status

--
critical
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 283112
15 years ago
14 years ago

People

(Reporter: steve2470, Assigned: rginda)

Tracking

({crash})

Trunk
x86
Linux
crash

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

15 years ago
User-Agent:       
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040214

Chatzilla crashed when I was accessing an irc server, and the crash made
Mandrake Linux 10.0 logout. I was able to replicate this bug 2x.

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open Chatzilla
2. Logon to an Irc server under Mandrake Linux 10.0
3.

Actual Results:  
Chatzilla crashes and makes Mandrake logout

Expected Results:  
Logged onto the IRC server and not crashed or made the OS logout

Comment 1

15 years ago
is this something that just started happening with the 2040214 nightly build, or
did it also happen with an older build?
Keywords: crash
(Reporter)

Comment 2

15 years ago
(In reply to comment #1)
> is this something that just started happening with the 2040214 nightly build, or
> did it also happen with an older build?

To tell the truth, I do not know. This is my first Mozilla bug report.

Comment 3

15 years ago
Reporter, could you provide the IRC server address you were trying to connect
to, or was it a different server each time (in which case, both addresses would
be useful)? Could you also tell us what version of ChatZilla you are using?
(Type /about into the *client* view.)
(Reporter)

Comment 4

15 years ago
(In reply to comment #3)
> Reporter, could you provide the IRC server address you were trying to connect
> to, or was it a different server each time (in which case, both addresses would
> be useful)? Could you also tell us what version of ChatZilla you are using?
> (Type /about into the *client* view.)

0.9.52B is the version of Chatzilla. About the server address, I cannot
remember, sorry. It was the same IRC address each time.

(Reporter)

Comment 5

15 years ago
(In reply to comment #4)
> (In reply to comment #3)
> > Reporter, could you provide the IRC server address you were trying to connect
> > to, or was it a different server each time (in which case, both addresses would
> > be useful)? Could you also tell us what version of ChatZilla you are using?
> > (Type /about into the *client* view.)
> 
> 0.9.52B is the version of Chatzilla. About the server address, I cannot
> remember, sorry. It was the same IRC address each time.
> 
> 

Important fact to add here is that I am using Mandrake Linux 10.0 Beta 2, which
is not a stable version.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

15 years ago
(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #4)
> > (In reply to comment #3)
> > > Reporter, could you provide the IRC server address you were trying to connect
> > > to, or was it a different server each time (in which case, both addresses
would
> > > be useful)? Could you also tell us what version of ChatZilla you are using?
> > > (Type /about into the *client* view.)
> > 
> > 0.9.52B is the version of Chatzilla. About the server address, I cannot
> > remember, sorry. It was the same IRC address each time.
> > 
> > 
> 
> Important fact to add here is that I am using Mandrake Linux 10.0 Beta 2, which
> is not a stable version.

I just logged onto irc.freenode and did a /list with the same OS and same
version of Chatzilla. Everything has been fine so far.

Comment 7

14 years ago
What is the position on this bug?

-Robin

Comment 8

14 years ago
Reporter, we cannot proceed with this bug without your response to the above
query. Please comment on this bug with additional information, by visiting the
URL referenced in this email, within 5 days. If this doesn't happen, this bug
will be marked INVALID. Thanks :-)
Product: Core → Other Applications
Does this problem still occur? If not, I think this should be marked worksforme.

Comment 10

14 years ago
Reporter if you're still alive please put irc://irc.mozilla.org/#haniwagumi in
URL :o)
Well I have got a similar issue I cannot produce a testcase but with the steps
as long as the channel topic is not changed.

Well with this build ie Chatzilla 0.9.61 [Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
fr-FR; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050221 MultiZilla/1.8.0.0c Mnenhy/0.7.1] window manager
is killed _but_ with Chatzilla 0.9.61 [Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; fr-FR;
rv:1.7.2) Gecko/??????? MultiZilla/1.8.0.0c Mnenhy/0.7.1] it does not crash. NB
1.72 release is included in Mandrake 10.1 distribution : so the issue might
depend on cross-compilation conditions
The channel topic wich causes the crash is (correctly re-encoded passing through
X-Chat to get it, it is most probably  harmless like it, (alas) is はにゃーん
the channel name is #haniwagumi it is on (what a chance) is moznet. So the crash
url (beware that chatzilla may kill your window manager) is
irc://moznet/haniwagumi (irc://irc.mozilla.org/#haniwagumi as well /list in
makes chatzilla kill X window manager

Updated

14 years ago
Depends on: 283112
Does this still happen with the newest version of ChatZilla? 0.9.67 has had its
improvements over 0.9.61 ;-).

Comment 12

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #11)
> Does this still happen with the newest version of ChatZilla? 0.9.67 has had its
> improvements over 0.9.61 ;-).

See dependance this is a core/internationalization problem. To *prevent* crash
anyway it is a good idea to set character encoding to unicode. To test crash
follow the steps in bug:283112#c0

(In reply to comment #12)
> (In reply to comment #11)
> > Does this still happen with the newest version of ChatZilla? 0.9.67 has had its
> > improvements over 0.9.61 ;-).
> 
> See dependance this is a core/internationalization problem. To *prevent* crash
> anyway it is a good idea to set character encoding to unicode. To test crash
> follow the steps in bug:283112#c0
> 
> 

ChatZilla's default character encoding *IS* UTF-8. I don't know how long this
has been the case, but it has been like that for some time now, and most
certainly in 0.9.66* and 0.9.67. 

If you changed it, then this is certainly not ChatZilla's fault, and if you
didn't, then this might be another problem than the Mozilla core bug.

Comment 14

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #13)

> If you changed it, then this is certainly not ChatZilla's fault, and if you
> didn't, then this might be another problem than the Mozilla core bug.

I am not the reporter of *this* bug and i am not enough empowered to change the
component on it or else to dupe it but i don't think this is a dupe even if the
same chain 0xE30x81 is guilty. If you think it is the same bug as 283112 just
dupe it. I changed the character encoding in chatzilla long time ago (when
chatzilla preference was inside preference window) anybody can do that...

Comment 15

14 years ago

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 283112 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.