chrome reg error (-239) installing some extensions into profile

NEW
Unassigned

Status

Core Graveyard
Installer: XPInstall Engine
13 years ago
a year ago

People

(Reporter: Henrik Gemal, Unassigned)

Tracking

1.8 Branch
x86
Windows XP

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

13 years ago
I'm trying to install en extension that I'm developing on:

     Launchy (version 1.9.0.20040226)
     -------

     ** Launchy version <1.9.0> being installed on build <2004022509>
     ** Installation method is 2
     ** ok adding jar file <launchy.jar> to <C:\Private\Mail\Mozilla\gemal\chrome\>.
     ** ok registering the content chrome.
     ** ok registering the locale chrome.
     [1/3]	Replacing: C:\Private\Mail\Mozilla\gemal\chrome\launchy.jar
     [2/3]	Register Package:
jar:file:///C:/Private/Mail/Mozilla/gemal/chrome/launchy.jar!/content/
     ** InstallSkin() failed. - nsresult code: 0x80004005
     ** InstallLocale() failed. - nsresult code: 0x80004005
     ** InstallPackage() failed. - nsresult code: 0x80004005
     ** Failed to register chrome. - nsresult code: 0x80004005
     ** Problem performing install. Error code: -239
     ** Problem installing. Error code: -239. Error codes can been seen at:
http://devedge.netscape.com/library/manuals/2001/xpinstall/1.0/err.html

     Install **FAILED** with error -239  --  02/26/2004 10:11:46

Comment 1

13 years ago
Is this a new or an existing (priorly working) version of install.js?

I have exactly the same problem with a MultiZilla installation on MacOSX, but
WinXP works. Oh, and I don't no where to look for install.log (or whatever its
name is for OSX).
(Reporter)

Comment 2

13 years ago
my global chrome mozilla direcyory can get into a state where it's impossible to
install anything. when I delete the entire mozilla and reinstall I can install
again.

I keep gettingthis over and over again. This is due to that I develop extensions
so I install over and over again.

The problem is never with my profile chrome bacause reinstall of mozilla ALWAYS
solves the problem.

perhaps I need to find out what "nsresult code 0x80004005" really is
(Reporter)

Comment 3

13 years ago
DocWilco: the diagnose from bug 221994 doesn't really help. I think we also need
to put for debug inside the nsChromeRegistry.cpp?
(Reporter)

Comment 4

13 years ago
Ok I found out now where it's getting that error:
both:
skinCount
localeCount
packageCount

are null so the statement:
  if (skinCount == 0 && localeCount == 0 && packageCount == 0) {
in nsChromeRegistry.cpp line 2323 is true

then we have:
    // Try the old-style manifest.rdf instead
    key = aBaseURL;
    key += "manifest.rdf";
    (void)remote->Init(key.get());      // ignore failure here
    rv = remote->Refresh(PR_TRUE);
    if (NS_FAILED(rv)) return rv;

it then returns!
(Reporter)

Comment 5

13 years ago
it only happens when I try to install into the user chrome. it doesn't happen
when I install into the global chrome.
x80004005 is generic NS_ERROR_FAILURE (nsError.h) -- that doesn't help you any.
Given that no one uses manifest.rdf anymore, and Launchy in particular is not
using it, trying to register chrome and having nsChromeRegistry not find any
chrome to register (counts are zero) is an error.

Is there a problem in your contents.rdf? Maybe a bug parsing it? Look for
problems higher up in nsChromeRegistry.

changing vague "Getting -239 when installing" summary. If I've mischaracterized
the bug please correct me.

Re: comment 1 -- the install log is usually in the executable directory. If that
directory is unwritable then it's in the profile directory.

Comment 2 and comment 5 seem contradictory, one blaming profile installs and one
blaming global chrome. Or are you saying this bug only happens when you install
into the profile, AND you can make it go away by reinstalling Mozilla?
Summary: getting -239 when installing → chrome reg error (-239) installing some extensions into profile

Comment 7

13 years ago
I get this error (-239) when trying to install a new version of an extension
that contains locale chrome (Firesomething 1.1) over a previous version that did
not have locale chrome (Firesomething 1.0.9).

This occurs when the user profile is the target, I don't know if the same error
occurs when installing to the application folder.
Duplicate of this bug: 279134

Updated

9 years ago
Version: Trunk → 1.8 Branch
Assignee: xpi-engine → nobody
QA Contact: xpi-engine
(Assignee)

Updated

a year ago
Product: Core → Core Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.