User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040421 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040421 I opened a *big* spam folder, approximately 2000 messages. It was obviously all spam so I right-clicked on the folder and deleted it. Now I keep getting the following dialog boxes: The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: SELECT failed: Can't open mailbox Mail/richlists/junk: no such mailbox and The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Command unrecognised: UID FETCH. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1.Please see details 2. 3. Actual Results: Still trying to get rid of these interminable dialog boxes. May have to kill the process... Expected Results: Either recognised that I had deleted the mailbox and given up on the spam checking /or/ interpret the "mailbox not found error" and cancel all the queued (presumably) retrieves.
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01". This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code. While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug (given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more reproduction information if you have it. If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved. Thank you for your help in this matter. The latest beta releases can be obtained from: Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.