Closed Bug 243983 Opened 16 years ago Closed 14 years ago

Can't enter data into forms on this page

Categories

(SeaMonkey :: Find In Page, defect, P3, major)

x86
Windows XP

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 258285

People

(Reporter: Silverbanana, Assigned: aaronlev)

References

()

Details

(Keywords: access)

Attachments

(1 file, 1 obsolete file)

10.00 KB, application/octet-stream
Details
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8a) Gecko/20040518 Firefox/0.8.0+
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8a) Gecko/20040518 Firefox/0.8.0+

I tried to test my guestbook, but I can't enter anything into the input fields.
Instead of changing the data in input fields firefox invokes the type-ahead
feature. This happens only if the page, that contains the form is part of a
frameset. 

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Visit page
2. click first field (Name)
3. press 'n', for example

Actual Results:  
Type ahead feature is invoked.

Expected Results:  
letters should be appended to input field data

also tried an older Mozilla version: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1;
en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040421

Same behaviour here.
Never seen this one before. Can someone make a minimal test case and attach it?
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Attached file Minimal Testsuite (obsolete) —
I don't know if it's really a minimal testsuite, but it should be simple enough
to find the bug (which still appears in this testsuite). I wasn't so far able
to remove another feature, so it comes down to this:
XHTML with a XSLT stylesheet, one frameset with two frames.
It shouldn't require me to build with XSL to test this. Find as you type uses
the DOM and layout trees, but doesn't care how the document came to be. So, the
translation layer shouldn't matter. It should be possible to produce a pure html
test case without the XSL.
I just tried to replace as much XML with HTML as I could. However right.xml
does not seem to be replacable: when I use right.html Mozilla behaves as
expected, but if I use right.xml it doesn't. Ok, or maybe I'm just too tired to
write good XML/bad HTML.
Attachment #148868 - Attachment is obsolete: true
I just experimented a bit with my guestbook and I found a way to enter data into
my guestbook forms. Maybe this helps to find and fix this bug.

Steps:
1. Open an explorer window (or any other window).
2. Visit my guestbook
3. select any textarea/text-input
4. select previously opened explorer window
5. now select any other textarea/text-input in the firefox-window
6. enter data

This worked for me in some occasions. In my opinion it must be some kind of
focus problem. I'm still puzzled why this only works with right.xml but not with
right.html.
I'm currently working on some other documents that contain forms (also XML),
which showed similar problems (data could not be entered) though they had
nothing to do with frames.

Another strange thing is, that data, that was entered in right.xml is lost when
the page is refreshed while it stays there when reloading right.html.

I just tested it all with: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
rv:1.8a2) Gecko/20040526 Firefox/0.8.0+
Keywords: access, sec508
Priority: -- → P3
Summary: Can't enter data into forms → Can't enter data into forms on this page
This is happening to me on all sorts of web pages.  It only happens randomly,
but once it happens, I have to restart firefox to get rid of it.  This should be
definitely be marked blocking 1.0 as it is a totally debilitating bug if it
happens to you.
hmmm, I lied.  It can go away without restarting the browser becuase it just
went away for me.
I've got a reproducable case:  I'm using the default stylesheet on XML data to
render a page.  I cannot enter data intoa rendered form's Input elements. 
Selects (drop-down boxes) work fine.
My situation (whether it needs to be this complex or not, i'm not sure) is as
follows:
I have a surrounding frame with javascript-targetted links that change the
location.href of an innner frame.  When the innerframe pulls down the Form XML
and gets transformed, I'm unable to enter data into the input elements.  Oddly,
when i hit 'submit', it comes back with my error text, but I'm then able to
enter data into those same input elements.  It's reproducable every time with
this Use Case.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 258285 ***
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Product: Core → SeaMonkey
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.