User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8a) Gecko/20040518 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8a) Gecko/20040518 Connected with Mozilla,I open an PDF file using Adobe Acrobat Reader, When I try to save a copy of the file from "SAVE a COPY" of Acrobat, the name of file PDF was changed in : C__DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS_ADMINISTRATOR_APPLICATIONDATA_Mozilla_Profiles_default_mquutiti.pdf Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1.open PDF file 2.try "Save a copy" from Acrobat Reader 6 3.before proceding with confirm verify name of file to be saved Expected Results: The name to be saved need to be the same of original name of PDF.
confirming using FF 20040518 + Acrobat Reader 6 on Win2k.
Why do you think it's a Mozilla bug ? Does it work with IE ?
this happens with FF 20040523 Win2k + Acrobat 6.0.0 and works fine with IE6 and same plug-in version (on same machine).
Confirmation: on the same hw: with WIN2K, when I tried to save same Files in PDF format, with IE v6, on the window for save the file, using same version of AcroRead(6), appears the correct name and not another path like Mozilla does in some case.
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01". This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code. While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug (given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more reproduction information if you have it. If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved. Thank you for your help in this matter. The latest beta releases can be obtained from: Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.