The attached xpi file has an install.rdf with an <em:package> that points to a non-existent location (in this case the jar is empty, though when I originally saw this it was due to a typo). After attempting to install the xpi, every start of Firefox will result in a "Finishing Extension Installation" dialog that never disappears. Deleting the extensions sub-folder in the profile is the easiest way of clearing the problem. This could be considered to be an extension bug rather than a Firefox bug, but I think that FF should handle the situation more gracefully so that the problem can't be used as any sort of "attack" (though maybe with the white-list that has been discussed in various places this won't be problem). I have no idea if -no-extensions will bypass this problem as that feature seems broken at the moment, I'll file a bug on that in a minute.
Created attachment 149821 [details] Installing this breaks Firefox (delete extensions sub-folder in profile to recover)
I always forget how powerful extensions are, using this bug as an "attack" would be pretty stupid, since a properly installed extension could do a lot more harm. Anyway it would still be nice if broken install.rdf files were handled better.
Created attachment 150441 [details] ieview XPI causing installer hang Another XPI which causes the same problem. Trying to upgrade IEView to live within the 0.9 setup, but I'm running into this wall. Obviously, something's wrong with my XPI layout or the install.rdf, but there's no feedback as to what.
(In reply to comment #3) > Another XPI which causes the same problem. Trying to upgrade IEView to live > within the 0.9 setup, but I'm running into this wall. Obviously, something's > wrong with my XPI layout or the install.rdf, but there's no feedback as to > what. You need to put the jar file into a chrome sub-folder.
Thanks - solves the install problem for this extension. Nonetheless, the behavior when running into bonehead install mistakes like mine is sub-optimal.
I ran into the same issue and filed bug 246369. IMHO, Firefox should gracefully skip invalid extension install manifests.
I have tried to delete the subfolders, but it still hangs. I then deleted the two extension sub-folders, but it still hangs. I then reinstalled over the initial installation, and it still hangs. Any suggestions?
Please try removing and/or completely renaming any of the following directories you might have: %APPDATA%\Firefox (ie. C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Firefox) %APPDATA%\Mozilla And try again, with a completely clean profile. Often the culprits are the chrome directory and the extensions directory - but the XUL and localstore data files can get corrupted too, in my experience. -[Unknown]
Caught me out when upgrading my Diggler extension
14 years ago
14 years ago
Priority: -- → P2
Created attachment 153013 [details] [diff] [review] patch if chrome registration fails: - show a warning to the user - the warning has a "View Details" button extension authors can use to get full details from the error console - the extension is uninstalled so it does not leave cruft in the EM or cause incompatibility headaches.
br & trunk fixed.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
*** Bug 248128 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
setting fixed-aviary1.0 for bugfixes checked into branch, for searching purposes. sorry for bugspam.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.