Closed Bug 246623 Opened 18 years ago Closed 15 years ago

XML Parsing Error prevents Firefox from starting

Categories

(Firefox :: General, defect)

x86
Windows XP
defect
Not set
critical

Tracking

()

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

People

(Reporter: localhost, Assigned: bugzilla)

References

()

Details

User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8a2) Gecko/20040601
Build Identifier: Unknown as it doesn't star

On starting Mozilla Firefox 0.9RC after a clean install, it hangs on a error:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Location: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Line Number 609, Column 17:
<menu label="&charsetMenu.label;" accesskey="charsetMenu.accesskey;

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Do a clean install of Firefox 0.9RC
2. Launch Firefox
3. Problem occurs.

Actual Results:  
Firefox produces an error and won't continue to start. Killing Firefox (e.g
using the X in the upper right corner) and starting again does not resolve the
problem.

Expected Results:  
Firefox should start normaly.

I was having Firefox running like a charm before. This after upgrading 0.8
nightly to the 0.9rc. But after some problems with installing the latest
chatzilla I decided to do a clean install.
I have uninstalled Firefox, removed my profile, removed all mozilla folders
inside the Application Data folders. I'm probably overlooking a directory, but I
can't find it. Windows Search doesn't solve my problem.
Did you uninstall Firefox first (or erased the program directory) before
installing? 
(In reply to comment #1)
> Did you uninstall Firefox first (or erased the program directory) before
> installing? 

I uninstalled Firefox first. The installered removed the install directory
correctly. I just checked if it was gone. I then removed the profile directory.
the only remaining file I am aware of is \winnt\mozver.dat but I don't think
it's related to your problem.
(In reply to comment #3)
> the only remaining file I am aware of is \winnt\mozver.dat but I don't think
> it's related to your problem.

Worth a try.
And you were right. It didn't resolve my problem.
I just installed the 0.8 release over the 0.9RC release and got a nice error as 
well. Perhaps this can make things clearer (not to me though):

Dialogbox title: firefox.exe - Entry Point Not found
Dialogbox content:
The procedure entry point ?
assign_from_qi@nsCOMPtr_base@@QAEXVnsQueryInterfase@@ABUnsID@@@Z could not be 
located in the dynamic link library xpcom.dll.
As of 0.9 Final, I have no problems anymore when performing a clean install with
no profiles present. 
If nobody else has problems like I had, this bug can be marked fixed.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Closed: 18 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
*** Bug 247055 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Reopening, other users are seing this as well
Status: RESOLVED → UNCONFIRMED
Resolution: WORKSFORME → ---
*** Bug 246673 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
I am haveing the same problem in mine, but there, it is in nasvagator.xul
line 46, colum 1
Having the same problem with .9 branch build after about 6/26-27, error is in
parsing browser.xul and with line # 24, col 16 &mainWindow.title.

Tried clearing my xul.mfl and the mozver.dat to no avail.  Did a complete
uninstall and reinstall but all the latest .9 branch builds are **** out.
Same Problem after upgrading 0.8 to 0.9.1 . I doesnt clean up the old directory
completly, this is the error message that appears every startup : 

XML Parsing Error undefinied enty
Location:Chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Line Number 609, Column17:

<menu label=``charsetmenu.label;`` accceskey=``charsetMenu.accesskey;``
--------------------^
(In reply to comment #0)
> User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8a2)
Gecko/20040601
> Build Identifier: Unknown as it doesn't star
> 
> On starting Mozilla Firefox 0.9RC after a clean install, it hangs on a error:
> 
> XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
> Location: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
> Line Number 609, Column 17:
> <menu label="&charsetMenu.label;" accesskey="charsetMenu.accesskey;
> 
> Reproducible: Always
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. Do a clean install of Firefox 0.9RC
> 2. Launch Firefox
> 3. Problem occurs.
> 
> Actual Results:  
> Firefox produces an error and won't continue to start. Killing Firefox (e.g
> using the X in the upper right corner) and starting again does not resolve the
> problem.
> 
> Expected Results:  
> Firefox should start normaly.
> 
> I was having Firefox running like a charm before. This after upgrading 0.8
> nightly to the 0.9rc. But after some problems with installing the latest
> chatzilla I decided to do a clean install.
> I have uninstalled Firefox, removed my profile, removed all mozilla folders
> inside the Application Data folders. I'm probably overlooking a directory, but I
> can't find it. Windows Search doesn't solve my problem.

(In reply to comment #0)
> User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8a2)
Gecko/20040601
> Build Identifier: Unknown as it doesn't star
> 
> On starting Mozilla Firefox 0.9RC after a clean install, it hangs on a error:
> 
> XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
> Location: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
> Line Number 609, Column 17:
> <menu label="&charsetMenu.label;" accesskey="charsetMenu.accesskey;
> 
> Reproducible: Always
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. Do a clean install of Firefox 0.9RC
> 2. Launch Firefox
> 3. Problem occurs.
> 
> Actual Results:  
> Firefox produces an error and won't continue to start. Killing Firefox (e.g
> using the X in the upper right corner) and starting again does not resolve the
> problem.
> 
> Expected Results:  
> Firefox should start normaly.
> 
> I was having Firefox running like a charm before. This after upgrading 0.8
> nightly to the 0.9rc. But after some problems with installing the latest
> chatzilla I decided to do a clean install.
> I have uninstalled Firefox, removed my profile, removed all mozilla folders
> inside the Application Data folders. I'm probably overlooking a directory, but I
> can't find it. Windows Search doesn't solve my problem.

(In reply to comment #0)
> User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8a2)
Gecko/20040601
> Build Identifier: Unknown as it doesn't star
> 
> On starting Mozilla Firefox 0.9RC after a clean install, it hangs on a error:
> 
> XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
> Location: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
> Line Number 609, Column 17:
> <menu label="&charsetMenu.label;" accesskey="charsetMenu.accesskey;
> 
> Reproducible: Always
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. Do a clean install of Firefox 0.9RC
> 2. Launch Firefox
> 3. Problem occurs.
> 
> Actual Results:  
> Firefox produces an error and won't continue to start. Killing Firefox (e.g
> using the X in the upper right corner) and starting again does not resolve the
> problem.
> 
> Expected Results:  
> Firefox should start normaly.
> 
> I was having Firefox running like a charm before. This after upgrading 0.8
> nightly to the 0.9rc. But after some problems with installing the latest
> chatzilla I decided to do a clean install.
> I have uninstalled Firefox, removed my profile, removed all mozilla folders
> inside the Application Data folders. I'm probably overlooking a directory, but I
> can't find it. Windows Search doesn't solve my problem.

I had the same problem, but deleting the directory 'chrome' in my profile fixed 
it for me.
is this still visible? (using 1.0PR)
*** Bug 247018 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
XML Parsing Error: Undefined Entity
Location: Chrome://Broser/content/browser.xul
Line Number 910, column 33

I just did a update on firefox and now i can't use it any more
*** Bug 269247 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 268664 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 271819 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 272515 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
are we still seeing this? It was a long time ago, for me.
This is an old bug, which I believe was caused by incompatible extensions and does not occur anymore since incompatible extensions are disabled on startup.

If anyone still sees this with Firefox 2, they should try creating a new Firefox profile. Available user support options are listed at http://www.mozilla.org/support/
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 18 years ago15 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.