User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040616 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040616 Here's how to replicate: Open account manager, make a new account with a valid email from entered.Make sure server is valid, etc. Close account mamanger or continue working on same now created account. Tell the account manager to change account TITLE. From email address can get autochanged as account title is changed to match account title if title is an email address and remains an email address after change. I did this: I created a remote pickup email clinet account in Mozilla 1.7 final. Title defaulted to email address entered (this ITSELF is not bad, PER SE). I then decided that instead of email@example.com I wanted the account title to be firstname.lastname@example.org to quickly distinguish it in first four characters from another account (email@example.com). I got interrupted, did not notice the email from default picked up in compose now read firstname.lastname@example.org ALSO, and accepted the change after checking just the title. I started getting amil bounce-on-reply queries from folks who had the proper email address also, many such. Today, I discovered the only FASt workaround for this. Change just the email address, after saving the title change and reentering account manager for that account, on the appropriate page. The email account change does nto bounce back into title, but a title change replicates into default from email address unless title is in and of itself NOT an email address. Suggested bug fix: After first create, do not default email account manager to autochange email from address when title is changed. Instead, default it to change only what is entered as far as title and from email address. Make it optional to carry title changes through to email from default and provide a check option box to trigger that. Doc this change, you will get fewer "wrong from address" bugs-- lots less. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1.See details-- I put all that there before scrolling down and seeing this 2. 3. Actual Results: Covered in details. Expected Results: Covered in suggested bug fix part of details. This is cross-theme, cross-PLATFORM, and crosses over between all netscape versions and Mozilla up to and including 1.7 final. Workaround given in details section also. I classed it major as doing this with a pickup to a server that authenticates and verifies from before accepting outbounds will case an auth failure and when folks sho are IT managers get wrong froms they tend to filter them.Since this can happen on a first create before first pickup on an email account, some other bug reports of confused kinds that I have seen can be vaporized also with this one suggested behavioral fix.
You can mark this one confirmed, I have made Mozzie and Netsc ape do this JUST this way 30 plus times,and 4-5 other ways also over the years since Netscape Communicator Gold 2.0 came out. I started using what got grandfathered into current Mozilla in this case before Netscape Communicator 2.0 came out.
You're talking about the Account Name field, right? I tried reproducing this and couldn't see the issue you apparently see. I changed Account Name from 'email@example.com' to 'firstname.lastname@example.org', clicked OK. Then sent an email from my email@example.com account (listed now as 'firstname.lastname@example.org') to another account. When I read the email, it came from 'email@example.com', not 'firstname.lastname@example.org'. Is there a step I'm missing.
Summary: Account Manager can gen a wrong From address default automatically! → Account Manager can get a wrong From address default automatically!
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01". This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code. While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug (given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more reproduction information if you have it. If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved. Thank you for your help in this matter. The latest beta releases can be obtained from: Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.