When I start Firfox, it doesn't do what IE did and that is automatically connect to my DSL provider

RESOLVED EXPIRED

Status

()

Core
Networking
RESOLVED EXPIRED
14 years ago
13 years ago

People

(Reporter: mike petelczyc, Assigned: Darin Fisher)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows XP
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

14 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040707 Firefox/0.9.2
Build Identifier: Firefox/0.9.2

When I fire up the Firefox browser, it doesn't automn- connect to my DSL ISP and
I have to locate the DSL dial up icon, start DSL, then the browser will work OK.
In IE (which I trashed after loading Firefox) whenever I started the browser (or
email) the DSL connection would auto connect.

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Just try to start accessing teh internet -
2.
3.

Actual Results:  
the browser opens but then there is no auto connect to DSL provider

Expected Results:  
when the browser icon is clicked, teh browser should open and auto connect to
the DSL iSP

Comment 1

14 years ago
I have WinXP Pro, Firefox 1.0PR and a DSL connection set as the default dial-up
connection.

In my case, Firefox does ask for dial-up of the standard dial-up connection if
no internet connection is present at start-up, but apparently it is not able to
properly use the connection coming up for loading the home page set in the
Firefox options.
After reporting as an error that the home page cannot be found, Firefox will
work normally for all subsequently loaded pages.

I have set http://www.google.de as the home page location in the Firefox options.
When I start up Firefox, the status line reads "Looking up www.google.de". After
a few seconds, the dial-up dialog ("Connect <ISP-name>") pops up. Immediately
after confirmation of the dialog the following error message will appear:
"www.google.de could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

Pressing the "Home Page" button of Firefox next will give me the Google page,
though, and all other pages will work, too.

Reproducible: Yes

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1.) Set up a DSL connection as the standard dial-up connection.

2.) Start up Firefox with no connection present.
(In my case the Firefox home page is "http://www.google.de".)

3.) Confirm the "Connect <ISP-name>" dialog.

4.) Error message "<Home page address> could not be found."

Comment 2

14 years ago
Do you get "could not be found"-notification, if you try to go to a web page?

DSL dial-up is a Windows configuration, not a part of a web browser. If no
program tries to access the net, the net won't start.

Of course it'd be good for Firefox to expect that first connection after start
up might take more time than usual, as the computer might need to establish the
connection first.

Updated

13 years ago
Assignee: benjamin → darin
Component: Startup and Profile System → Networking
Product: Firefox → Core
QA Contact: benjamin → benc
Version: unspecified → Trunk
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01".

This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that
bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are
highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code.

While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we
are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce
this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a
copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and
you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug
(given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more
reproduction information if you have it.

If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not
changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

The latest beta releases can be obtained from:
Firefox:     http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html
Seamonkey:   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above
comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.