Closed Bug 25637 Opened 20 years ago Closed 20 years ago

vCard button labels do not display as target language when vcard.properties is localized into Japanese

Categories

(MailNews Core :: Backend, defect, P3, critical)

x86
Windows NT
defect

Tracking

(Not tracked)

VERIFIED FIXED

People

(Reporter: momoi, Assigned: rhp)

References

()

Details

Attachments

(2 files)

** Observed with M13-rtm build with Japanese Language Pack **

This problem surfaced when volunteers in Japan localized 
chrome://messenger/lcoale/en-US/vcard.properties file
into Japanese using "escaped Unicode" as the encoding
as required by Mozilla. 

When we use the Japanese Language Pack, vCard button labels
such as "View Complete Card" and "Add to Personal Address Book"
display as total gibberish -- certainly not as Japanese.
Please see the attached image for a demo of this problem.
I will also attach the "vcard.properties" file in Japanese (in 
escaped Unicode) which you can place in the directory:

chrome://messenger/lcoale/en-US

I think you will be able to see the problem with only this
Japanese file replacing the original M13-rtm vcard.properties
file.

The vcard.proeprties file, as any .properties file, is in UCS-2/Unicode.
Does that match up with what you expect for vCard in the
Message View pane? This problem is not fixable by tinkering
with the vcard.properties file. We are probably not handling
the data encoding correctly.

If you want to try out the entire Japanese Language Pack which
runs and displays OK under US Windows with Japanese fonts installed,
you can find it at the above URL.
vcard.properties file upload is in .zip format.
Assigning myself as QA contact.
QA Contact: lchiang → momoi
Added the other mail team members.
I've been messing around with this for a while. The problem I am having is 
determining what to do with data from the properties file. I need to get this 
into UTF-8 format, but what charset is is when I pull it from the resources?

Any help would be appreciated.

- rhp
Ok, I think I may have a fix for this in my tree, but I can only run Win98 
right now and I don't have the fonts I need on this OS, so I can't be sure. 

I'll check first thing in the morning and see what I find on WinNT.

- rhp
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Target Milestone: M14
Summary: vCard button labels do not display as target language when vcard.properties is localized into Japanese → FIXED] [vCard button labels do not display as target language when vcard.properties is localized into Japanese
The data in vcard.properties should be in UCS-2/Unicode, not UTF-8.
Our *.properties files use the Java format, so they use escaped Unicode as 
defined by Java.
This should be all better now.

- rhp
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 20 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Summary: FIXED] [vCard button labels do not display as target language when vcard.properties is localized into Japanese → vCard button labels do not display as target language when vcard.properties is localized into Japanese
** Checked with 2/1/2000 Win32 M14 build **

Yes, it is better now. I used the Japanese vcard.properties file and viewed
msgs which contain vCard attachments. The button labels and all the vCard field
names which come from the vcard.properties file now display correctly in Japanese
on the buttons and inside the vCard display area, respectively. 
(Now if only we can view the actual vCard field content in Japanese... but that is another bug.)

Marking the fix verified. 
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Product: MailNews → Core
Product: Core → MailNews Core
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.