Option "compact folder when it will save over x kb" should be more visible (in Account settings?)

VERIFIED DUPLICATE of bug 289210

Status

Thunderbird
General
--
enhancement
VERIFIED DUPLICATE of bug 289210
13 years ago
12 years ago

People

(Reporter: Ben, Assigned: Scott MacGregor)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

13 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10
Build Identifier: version 0.8 (20040913)

Currently the option «compact folder when it will save over x kb» is part of the
offline extension and hidden in the offline settings. From a user point of view,
I believe that it should be part of the Account settings under «Offline & Disk
Space». And then the Local Folders should also have a «Disk Space» tab.

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:

Comment 1

13 years ago
You mean the setting itself should be per-account?
Severity: minor → enhancement
Summary: Option «compact folder when it will save over x kb» should be in Account settings Option «compact folder when it will save over x kb» should be in Account settings → Option "compact folder when it will save over x kb" should be in Account settings Option "compact folder when it will save over x kb" should be in Account settings
(Reporter)

Comment 2

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #1)
> You mean the setting itself should be per-account?

No. I just expected to find it under Disk Space. Not sure how to solve it,
perhaps adding a Disk Space tab to Local Folders?

It's just that IMHO it is such a basic feature and it really has nothing to do
with the offline extension.

Updated

13 years ago
Summary: Option "compact folder when it will save over x kb" should be in Account settings → Option "compact folder when it will save over x kb" should be more visible (in Account settings?)

Comment 3

13 years ago
*** Bug 270416 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 4

13 years ago
Since Thunderbird has a trash feature, the purpose of leaving the message in the
original folder as "marked to Delete" really serves no purpose other than to
make Thunderbird more responsive when deleting or moving files.  Therefore, it
only makes sense to offer an effecient mechanism to remove deleted/moved message
information from files.  The logical place is under "Disk Space" in account
properties.

It is true that this procedure is slightly inconveinient if you have many email
accounts.  However, that inconvienience is more of an indication that
Thunderbird needs a mechanism to assign more global defaults for accounts that
could be overridden on an account by account basis which is a topic for another
 bug report.  This still appears to be the most logical place for this function.
It might even make since to put the "Delete Trash on Exit" selection here since
that is really a disk space issue too.

Comment 5

13 years ago
Status should be changed to "verified" at least

Comment 6

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #4)
> Since Thunderbird has a trash feature, the purpose of leaving the message in
> the original folder as "marked to Delete" really serves no purpose other than
> to make Thunderbird more responsive when deleting or moving files.

Not exactly: the purpose is to offer a transparent indication of the inner 
workings of IMAP to those who are aware of, and wish to take advantage of, that 
feature.

Of course, compaction (or "expunging") applies to -- and is important to -- both 
IMAP and POP mail, the latter of which does not support "marked as deleted."  


> Thunderbird needs a mechanism to assign more global defaults for accounts that
> could be overridden on an account by account basis

That's not a bad idea.


> which is a topic for another  bug report.

Not necessarily -- in its current state, this bug is a little too vague to 
confirm, but if all the details are coalesced, it will work.


> It might even make since to put the "Delete Trash on Exit" selection here
> since that is really a disk space issue too.

I agree with that, too.



I see in current (pre-1.1) trunk builds, with the revamped Options dialog, that 
the Offline Settings are not (currently) even part of the Options.  Instead, you 
need to open the dialog via the menu:   File | Offline | Offline Settings
More to think about while determining exactly how the UI should appear.

Comment 7

13 years ago
If this option sheet is reworked, it could also provide the UI for implementing 
bug 131578.

Comment 8

13 years ago
*** Bug 290144 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 9

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #0)
> User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; rv:1.7.3)
Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10
> Build Identifier: version 0.8 (20040913)
> 
> Currently the option «compact folder when it will save over x kb» is part of the
> offline extension and hidden in the offline settings. 

I agree. How does one see this now. What is the offline extension?

Marking as confirmed that you cannot do this now as the user requests.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true

Comment 10

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #9)
> I agree. How does one see this now. What is the offline extension?
> 
> Marking as confirmed that you cannot do this now as the user requests.

Peter Kupfer, which version of TB were you testing with?  If you are not 
checking against a recent trunk build, you should not be confirming bugs.

Offline support used to be an option during custom install, but with 1.0.2 (and 
I think earlier builds) the option is visible, selected and disabled so that you 
can't deselect it.  (I haven't tried an installer with pre-1.1 builds yet.)


(In reply to comment #6)
> I see in current (pre-1.1) trunk builds, with the revamped Options dialog,
> that the Offline Settings are not (currently) even part of the Options. 
> Instead, you need to open the dialog via the menu: 
>    File | Offline | Offline Settings
> More to think about while determining exactly how the UI should appear.

This is no longer true.  In fact, what this bug was originally looking for has 
been implemented: in current trunk builds, the Options dialog now has an Offline 
& Disk Space tab on the Advanced page -- this is what used to be the Offline 
Settings dialog; see the dupe (see also bug 289197).

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 289210 ***
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
(Reporter)

Updated

12 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.