User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1) Build Identifier: When the RealUserName parameter is set in an account, then one can create a new account with this RealUserName as UserName, but the new account isn't visible in the account manager or in the main folder window. Thunderbird complains if you want to add this username/server again, one must modify the UserName and remove the RealUserName in the preferences file, so the new account will be visible/removable. Reproducible: Didn't try Steps to Reproduce: 1. 2. 3.
Created attachment 159964 [details] this is the problematic preferences file 5 accounts are in this file. The fourth isn't visible, because the username is the same as the username of the first account. It seems that thunderbird uses the RealUserName while verifying the existing accounts before creating the new account, not the UserName, and later it uses the Username, so the two accounts are somehow considered identical. If I remove RealUserName, and modify the UserName of the first account, then the fourth account is visible again.
This bug was reproduced (by accident first time round) on WinXP with TB1.0. Added attachement with steps to reproduce bug. Gives further insight into original reporter's own update: changing User Name after the account is set up (using the Account Settings tool) creates an entry in prefs.js which keeps the original wrong user name (as RealUserName) and hides any subsequent account that is given that user name on the same server. Could be quite a common problem, where users are given multiple boxes by their e-mail provider with very similar user names (e.g. M000000-1 then M000000-2 etc.). Confusion over which mailbox goes with which address can see users trying to correct the user name originally given when setting up an account, blocking them from using this user name for a subsequent account.
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01". This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code. While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug (given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more reproduction information if you have it. If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved. Thank you for your help in this matter. The latest beta releases can be obtained from: Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.