Account Manager shows wrong "Local directory:" for Global Inbox accounts

RESOLVED EXPIRED

Status

SeaMonkey
MailNews: Account Configuration
RESOLVED EXPIRED
14 years ago
8 years ago

People

(Reporter: Volkmar W. Pogatzki, Unassigned)

Tracking

({helpwanted})

Trunk
helpwanted
Bug Flags:
blocking-aviary1.0 -

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(3 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

14 years ago
Having set up accounts with "Use Global Inbox (store mail in Local Folders)",
the section "Server Settings" of "Account Manager" shows a wrong "Local
directory:" as if it were not using Global Inbox at all.

Storage is correctly done in "Local Folders" directory, although the wrongly
listed directories are created (and maybe unused?).

The wrong display of "Local directory:" is confusing and should be adjusted to
reflect Global Inbox settings.
(Reporter)

Comment 1

14 years ago
Created attachment 161024 [details]
"store mail in Local Folders"
(Reporter)

Comment 2

14 years ago
Created attachment 161026 [details]
wrong "Local directory:"
(Reporter)

Comment 3

14 years ago
Created attachment 161028 [details]
correct directory
(Reporter)

Updated

14 years ago
Flags: blocking-aviary1.0?

Comment 4

14 years ago
This is by design. We still store some per-account info in the local directory
for the server, like the msg filters, and that's what that directory is used
for. And changing that directory for that server would *not* change where the
mail is stored, since the account is deferred. Perhaps we need some way of
indicating that in the UI for the local mail directory.
(Reporter)

Comment 5

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #4)
> [...] Perhaps we need some way of
> indicating that in the UI for the local mail directory.

I second this idea. But eventually a litte redisign will become necessary as
well, since some of the "Server Settings" are in fact accounts' settings or even
"id" settings that should be handeled ( Bug 262300 ) and displayed by "Identity
Manager". 
Running Global Inbox with multiple (I've tested with tree) accounts works as
well as with multiple identities, even as a "movemail" Global Inbox. But in the
present state, Account Manager doesn't reflect the full range of possibilities.

What do you think about doubling the display of Local Folders' "Local
directories" into account's "Local directories" in case they use Global Inbox?

Comment 6

14 years ago
not likely to get to this before 1.0
Flags: blocking-aviary1.0? → blocking-aviary1.0-

Comment 7

14 years ago
It wouldn't be too hard to indicate that the account is deferred with some
simple xul and js hacking. I don't like putting two local directories in there,
though, since only one is editable...the local directory of the deferred to
account can only be changed by editing that account.
Flags: blocking-aviary1.0- → blocking-aviary1.0?
Keywords: helpwanted

Comment 8

14 years ago
sorry, crunched Chris's change to minus this for 1.0
Flags: blocking-aviary1.0? → blocking-aviary1.0-
(Reporter)

Comment 9

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #7)
> It wouldn't be too hard to indicate that the account is deferred with some
> simple xul and js hacking. I don't like putting two local directories in there,

Two "Local directories" would be confusing, I agree. The one of them shouldn't
better be renamed "Mail Storage Directory:" and be displayed as non-editable?

Comment 10

14 years ago
Just a suggestion (from a more ui-perspective): Wouldn't it be a better idea
staying away from editing local settings under 'server settings'?

Might it not be a better idea to remove the advanced button and place the SMTP
content under 'server settings' and move both the 'local directory' input field
and the 'POP3' settings under advanced (about global inbox) into a new
subcategory of an account called 'local settings'? This may also contain the
entry 'Disk Space'. Then there would be more space to make clear what is being
stored in this directory.

I believe an 'advanced button' opening a new window is also bad ui design.

Just my 2c.

Product: Browser → Seamonkey
OS: Linux → All
Hardware: PC → All

Updated

13 years ago
Assignee: sspitzer → mail

Comment 11

9 years ago
MASS-CHANGE:
This bug report is registered in the SeaMonkey product, but has been without a comment since the inception of the SeaMonkey project. This means that it was logged against the old Mozilla suite and we cannot determine that it's still valid for the current SeaMonkey suite. Because of this, we are setting it to an UNCONFIRMED state.

If you can confirm that this report still applies to current SeaMonkey 2.x nightly builds, please set it back to the NEW state along with a comment on how you reproduced it on what Build ID, or if it's an enhancement request, why it's still worth implementing and in what way.
If you can confirm that the report doesn't apply to current SeaMonkey 2.x nightly builds, please set it to the appropriate RESOLVED state (WORKSFORME, INVALID, WONTFIX, or similar).
If no action happens within the next few months, we move this bug report to an EXPIRED state.

Query tag for this change: mass-UNCONFIRM-20090614
Status: NEW → UNCONFIRMED

Comment 12

8 years ago
MASS-CHANGE:
This bug report is registered in the SeaMonkey product, but still has no comment since the inception of the SeaMonkey project 5 years ago.

Because of this, we're resolving the bug as EXPIRED.

If you still can reproduce the bug on SeaMonkey 2 or otherwise think it's still valid, please REOPEN it and if it is a platform or toolkit issue, move it to the according component.

Query tag for this change: EXPIRED-20100420
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 8 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.