User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.1 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.1 When going to a URI that gives a 301 redirect message without a HTML part you get an error message saying "The document contains no data" and an "OK" button. A TCP/IP trace gives the following conversation: > GET /404 HTTP/1.1 > Host: www.olalarsmo.com > User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.1 > Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5 > Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5 > Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate > Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7 > Keep-Alive: 300 > Connection: keep-alive > > HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently > Location: http://www.olalarsmo.com/404/ > > tcp_disconnect I tried the suggested solutions in the Firefox support forum ("Clear your cache" followed by "set browser.xul.error_pages.enabled to true") but none of that helped. A "View Source" for the empty document gives <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><title></title></head><body></body></html> Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Go to http://www.olalarsmo.com/404 Actual Results: Error message saying "Document contaíns no data" Expected Results: Followed the redirect 301 page to http://www.olalarsmo.com/404/ WORKAROUND: Going to "about:config" and disabling "network.http.keep-alive" solved the problem. Not necessarily elegant, but I hope it helps track down the problem.
A bit further research shows that according to section 10.3.2 in RFC2616 (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html) the server is at fault in this case. I quote: "The new permanent URI SHOULD be given by the Location field in the response. Unless the request method was HEAD, the entity of the response SHOULD contain a short hypertext note with a hyperlink to the new URI(s)." However, all other browsers I've tried seem to be able to use the Location field only.
OK, I have had the same problem with www.orkut.com, and now I finally have run a packet capture on that as well. Here is the response that triggers the error message: GET /Communities.aspx HTTP/1.1 Host: www.orkut.com User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.1 Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5 Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5 Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7 Keep-Alive: 30 Connection: keep-alive Referer: http://www.orkut.com/CommMsgs.aspx?cmm=34264&tid=5622&pmx=27&pno=27 Cookie: /* deleted for privacy reasons */ This time there is nothing redirecting the site, but it seems as if Firefox times out after a few seconds (5?)
Assignee: firefox → darin
Component: Preferences → Networking: HTTP
Product: Firefox → Browser
QA Contact: mconnor → core.networking.http
Version: unspecified → Trunk
same as bug 221648?
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01". This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code. While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug (given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more reproduction information if you have it. If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved. Thank you for your help in this matter. The latest beta releases can be obtained from: Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.