If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

tabs/windows opened by download links or external links should close when download starts

VERIFIED DUPLICATE of bug 241972

Status

()

Toolkit
Downloads API
--
enhancement
VERIFIED DUPLICATE of bug 241972
13 years ago
9 years ago

People

(Reporter: Mugros, Assigned: Ben Goodger (use ben at mozilla dot org for email))

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

13 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.1
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.1

Feature Request:
Firefox should copy the behaviour of the IE in this case. If there is a download
link which opens a new tab or window, this tab or window should be closed as
soon as the download manager starts downloading. This way, there will be no
blank tabs or windows because of downloads.

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1a. click download link with target in browser
1b. click on download link in external program


Actual Results:  
FF starts downloading, a blank tab/window remains

Expected Results:  
FF starts downloading, newly opened tab/window will be closed automatically

Comment 1

13 years ago
Thanks.  I find this pretty annoying.  This does NOT happen in FF .9.3, only in 
1.0PR.  Apparently another bug.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 241972 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE

Comment 3

13 years ago
Oh well, this is ALSO happening in v.9.3 now!  So, it's not just 1.0PR.

Comment 4

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #2)
> *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 241972 ***

You say this is a dupe, so when can we expect a fix for this problem please?
Thank you.

(Reporter)

Comment 5

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #4)
> (In reply to comment #2)
> > *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 241972 ***
> 
> You say this is a dupe, so when can we expect a fix for this problem please?
> Thank you.

You really should show more patience.
1. The dev-team certainly get tons of emails from bugzilla. Bugzilla is not
about bugging the people until they finally fix a problem. 
2. This bug is rather unimportant. I would rather consider it a tweak. So, don't
expect that this will be fixed immediately. If there is a quick fix and a
developer already overhauls the download manager then it might be changed in the
near future, but don't count on it. Asking for when it will be fixed certainly
doesn't speed the process.

Comment 6

13 years ago
> You really should show more patience.
> 1. The dev-team certainly get tons of emails from bugzilla. Bugzilla is not
> about bugging the people until they finally fix a problem. 
> 2. This bug is rather unimportant. I would rather consider it a tweak. So, 
don't
> expect that this will be fixed immediately. If there is a quick fix and a
> developer already overhauls the download manager then it might be changed in 
the
> near future, but don't count on it. Asking for when it will be fixed certainly
> doesn't speed the process.

Considering this was first posted at least as far back as APRIL , I think 
that's enough "patience", and I'm sure I'm not alone in calling this a bug.  
This is NOT a "tweak" but a BUG.  Especially since this behavior does not 
happen when clicking file download links **on WEBPAGES**.  This behavior should 
have been stopped on the very first FF release.

Furthermore, it doesn't hurt to ask **ONCE** about any updates, and I do not 
consider that "bugging" people!!  If more people DID inquire about specific 
updates to bug fixes, don't you think they'd "get on it" faster?  Yes, they 
would--since that would be an indication that more are interested in it.

Comment 7

13 years ago
A similar problem also happens when saving images.  #265948

Comment 8

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #6)
> Considering this was first posted at least as far back as APRIL , I think 
> that's enough "patience", and I'm sure I'm not alone in calling this a bug.  
> This is NOT a "tweak" but a BUG.  Especially since this behavior does not 
> happen when clicking file download links **on WEBPAGES**.  This behavior should 
> have been stopped on the very first FF release.

Except that it wasn't, because people were busier implementing and testing
features. Development is prioritised according to what's most important. This
falls pretty low on the importance radar. And yes, this is a bug, we know about
it. Whining about it won't get it fixed faster. This is a fact, learn to accept it.

> Furthermore, it doesn't hurt to ask **ONCE** about any updates, and I do not 
> consider that "bugging" people!!  If more people DID inquire about specific 
> updates to bug fixes, don't you think they'd "get on it" faster?  Yes, they 
> would--since that would be an indication that more are interested in it.

If more people inquired about specific updates to bug fixes, and actually
expected developers to reply, then the developers would be wasting time
responding to queries like this instead of working on code improvement/fixing
bugs. The developers are often able to see the bigger picture than end users,
many of whom care about one specific pet bug and will raise hell until it is
fixed, even though not many others care about it.

Is this bug annoying? Yes. Would Firefox be better if it was fixed? Yes. Is it
important enough that devs should drop work and fix it right now for you? No.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED

Comment 9

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #8)
> Except that it wasn't, because people were busier implementing and testing
> features. Development is prioritised according to what's most important. This
> falls pretty low on the importance radar. And yes, this is a bug, we know 
about
> it. Whining about it won't get it fixed faster. This is a fact, learn to 
accept it.
> If more people inquired about specific updates to bug fixes, and actually
> expected developers to reply, then the developers would be wasting time
> responding to queries like this instead of working on code improvement/fixing
> bugs. The developers are often able to see the bigger picture than end users,
> many of whom care about one specific pet bug and will raise hell until it is
> fixed, even though not many others care about it.
> Is this bug annoying? Yes. Would Firefox be better if it was fixed? Yes. Is it
> important enough that devs should drop work and fix it right now for you? No.

Look smart ass, NO ONE EVER STATED nor even IMPLIED that the "devs should drop 
work and fix it right now for you"!!!  I wasn't even speaking to YOU, and no 
one asked for your smart ass comments!!  All I said was: "You say this is a 
dupe, so when can we expect a fix for this problem please?  Thank you." and you 
in your asinine way somehow managed to twist that polite message into "demand" 
and "whining"!!!  GET LOST.

YOU are the one that was on the thread from April!!
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=241972  That ID is even mentioned 
here on this page!

I was not necessarily expecting DEVELOPERS to reply, but just another 
member/user from this forum!

Pretty sick when somone can't post a polite inquiry without some a-
hole "freaking out" over it.

Comment 10

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #9)
> Pretty sick when somone can't post a polite inquiry without some a-
> hole "freaking out" over it.

Clint Hamilton,

I agree that it is not at all inappropriate to want to know when it will be
fixed.  As a developer myself, however, I would suggest that you may be much
better off (with a more accurate answer) asking a brick wall what time it is...
than asking the developers.

Regardless, you stated you don't want to ask the developers.... so why are you
asking on the "developer hotline"?  If I went up to the Whitehouse, and shouted
toward it, "when will the war end?!" I would not be surprised if you accused me
of trying to bug the good gentlemen working there, or even the president and his
cabinet.

Thank you for your interest in this bug.  I am also interested in it,
eventually, getting fixed.  However, I am also interested in getting bug #45375
fixed, bug #231063 fixed, and bug #243324 fixed.  Even more, I find bugs like
#226695, #233625, and other crashers to be of huge importance.  More importance,
even.

Now, don't mistake me - I'm no developer for Mozilla.  I think I've had one
patch go in total, which is nothing to speak of.  However, I do know that you
will get a much better response asking these questions at Mozillazine...

http://forums.mozillazine.org/

That's a political discussion group, not the Whitehouse... to continue my
probably very odd analogy.

Hopefully we can all calm down now ;).  Now where did my soda run off to...?

Thanks,
-[Unknown]

Comment 11

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #10)
> (In reply to comment #9)
> > Pretty sick when somone can't post a polite inquiry without some a-
> > hole "freaking out" over it.
> Clint Hamilton,
> I agree that it is not at all inappropriate to want to know when it will be
> fixed.  As a developer myself, however, I would suggest that you may be much
> better off (with a more accurate answer) asking a brick wall what time it 
is...
> than asking the developers.
> Regardless, you stated you don't want to ask the developers.... so why are you
> asking on the "developer hotline"?  If I went up to the Whitehouse, and 
shouted
> toward it, "when will the war end?!" I would not be surprised if you accused 
me
> of trying to bug the good gentlemen working there, or even the president and 
his
> cabinet.

Hi [name?], I trust this will be last of these type emails.  Thanks for your 
partial understanding.  Allow me to explain a few things please.  I'm a bit 
confused regarding the "developer hotline" comment.  I was about to say, if 
this website is for developers ONLY, then I certainly apologize.  But you state 
you are not a dev, so apparently it is not only for dev's therefore it's not 
solely a "developer hotline".  I indicated previously that in browsing this 
site, I see posts such as mine inquiring on status quite frequently.  
(Rhetorically), why am I being singled out?  

To use your analogy: in your hypothetical scenario you would not expect the 
President to come outside and speak with you, would you?  Of course not.  Nor 
did I (as I also have indicated) expect any response from a dev, but from just 
A USER of FF like myself!  Since you have indicated this site is NOT just for 
dev's, the purpose of my question on any updates in not without merit.

> Now, don't mistake me - I'm no developer for Mozilla.  I think I've had one
> patch go in total, which is nothing to speak of.  However, I do know that you
> will get a much better response asking these questions at Mozillazine...
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/
> That's a political discussion group, not the Whitehouse... to continue my
> probably very odd analogy.
> Hopefully we can all calm down now ;).  Now where did my soda run off to...?
> Thanks,
> -[Unknown]

Again, I have indicated that I *am* a member of Mozillazine, and almost every 
time I post something there I'm met with "you'd be better off asking Bugzilla" 
type comments.  You should be able to understand my dilemma, hence 
frustration.  I certainly agree, "hopefully we can all calm down now".  :-)

In closing I need to state one final thing.  Your email was polite, and not 
offensive, and I thank you for that.  It's a shame others can't be that way.  I 
did ask for any more comments on this to be sent to me personally and not to 
this website (and a few did email me personally, and with polite emails of 
which I am appreciative).

I want to apologize to anyone that I may have offended or "bothered".  I only 
started using FF about two weeks ago due to being fed up with IE and wanting  a 
change.  While new to FF, I however am NOT new to the internet or 
computers/hardware/software.  (I've had an electronics and computer business 
since about 1978).  When I start to use something new, I MUST LEARN ALL I can 
about it, FF is no exception since it will (hopefully) be the most used piece 
of software on our computers.  In my efforts to learn about it, and learn about 
bug fixes and how to fix certain issues, I not only joined Mozillazine and 
several others, but this site as well due to the recommendations of many.  Each 
and EVERY ONE of you were in my same predicament at one time; of being new to 
FF and needing to learn, and I doubt any were "chastised" and treated the way I 
have been.  We all have to start somewhere, and when I'm presented with a new 
employee, or new member of any of my lists, I certainly do not treat them 
without decency or respect as some have shown here.  (By certain individuals 
which shall remain unnamed).  

Upon registering for this site, I do not recall seeing any EULA, or TOS 
regarding what could not be asked in respective threads.  If I missed it, I 
apologize.  If any said TOS does NOT indicate this, then perhaps it should be 
added.  (Since then someone was kind enough to send me the Bugzilla netiquette 
page in a private email, which of course I will read).

Again, sorry for any "disruption" and it won't happen again (as long as a 
certain "individual" refrains from harassing me, following me around, and just 
leaves me alone).  THAT is what a personal email address is for, NOT this site. 
I expect to able to ask questions on specific threads regarding said specific 
bugs that are PERTAINING TO the bug/ID, just as anyone else does.
Thank you,
-Clint
Product: Firefox → Toolkit
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.