Closed Bug 266570 Opened 16 years ago Closed 16 years ago

Flash linking crash [can't possibly be a library]

Categories

(Plugins Graveyard :: Java (Java Embedding Plugin), defect)

PowerPC
macOS
defect
Not set
critical

Tracking

(Not tracked)

VERIFIED FIXED

People

(Reporter: bill+mozilla-bugzilla, Assigned: smichaud)

References

()

Details

(Keywords: crash)

Attachments

(1 file)

Going to the above URL crashes Mozilla & Firefox (as of 1.0RC1) on Mac. 
CrashReporter says:

Link (dyld) error:
dyld: /Applications/Network/Mozilla.app/Contents/MacOS/mozilla-bin file is not a
regular file: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin (can't possibly be
a library)

but no trace.  Flash typically works fine on this machine.
Well that is odd.  I got the error that Bill got in Firefox.  If I use Mozilla,
I get this error:

Link (dyld) error:

dyld: ./mozilla-bin can't open library:
/usr/local/lib/mre/mre-1.8a5/libzip.jnilib  (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
OK, seems to be a problem with Java.  To test, just go to your preferences (in
Firefox or Mozilla), and turn off Java.  Then you should be able to load the
page just fine.

In my debug Mozilla, I get the following errors in the console, right before the
crash:
2004-11-01 11:45:30.227 mozilla-bin[18654] Apple AWT Internal Exception :
Conversion to encoding 30 failed for string "交大 詮民書局"
2004-11-01 11:45:30.227 mozilla-bin[18654] *** Uncaught exception:
<NSCharacterConversionException> Conversion to encoding 30 failed for string "&#20132;
&#22823; &#35438;&#27665;&#26360;&#23616;"

So the Java plugin is failing to convert something.

Bill, which version of the Java plugin are you using?  Do you have the one from
javaplugin.sf.net?  That's the one I'm using.  I'll disable it and see if I
still crash with the old plugin.
This seems to be a problem with the Java plugin from javaplugin.sf.net.  I have
opened bug 1058321 with that project.
Closing as INVALID since this is not a problem in Mozilla/Firefox.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 16 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
Attached file Bill's about:plugins
I can confirm turning off Java fixes this. 

I don't seem to be using the Java Embedding Plugin though - so that might not
be the real culprit.  I'm attaching my about:plugins in case anybody sees
something suspicious.

Looking at your debug, maybe this is an AppleJava Unicode rendering problem?

I'll verify when we can pin down whose fault it is.
OK, reading the reports at javaplugin.sourceforge.net:

>The problem is that, in several places, I use the Java
>Native Interface routines NewStringUTF() and
>GetStringUTFChars() to process/convert strings.  But
>these routines seem to mangle extended characters.
>I've now fixed the problem in my current version.  I
>should be able to release it in the next week or so as
>version 0.8.7 of the Java Embedding Plugin.

And that apparently fixes this problem.

So... I assume Apple made the same mistake with their 1.3.1 version I'm using. 
 So the fix for this bug is to use the JEP (even though it's not
mozilla-official) but regardless it's not Mozilla (though it sure would be nice
if Mozilla could tolerate plugin problems, but that's another bug).

Thanks for the good sleuthing, Javier.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
*** Bug 268518 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
This bug is fixed in version 0.8.7 of the Java Embedding Plugin, which
was just released.

http://javaplugin.sourceforge.net/

Assignee: nobody → smichaud
Component: Plug-ins → Java (Java Embedding Plugin)
Product: Core → Plugins
QA Contact: plugins → jep-java
Resolution: INVALID → FIXED
Version: Trunk → 0.x
Product: Plugins → Plugins Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.