A relative URL link is not resolved correctly ending up in keyword search instead

VERIFIED FIXED in M15

Status

()

Core
Networking
P3
normal
VERIFIED FIXED
19 years ago
19 years ago

People

(Reporter: Katsuhiko Momoi, Assigned: Judson Valeski)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows NT
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

19 years ago
** Observed with 2/5/2000 Win32 M14 build **

I've been seeing this problem for the last few days and hopefully
already is a duplicate.

1. Go to the above page.
2. Choose the link for ntral European (ISO-8859-2): Czech (Windows-1250).
3. Instead of resolving to: ..webpages/czech.html, it actually
   goes through netscape keyword search and ends up at a web site for
   something called "Babel Press".
4. You can also observe the same problem by going to the above
   URL and engage the menu, View | Page Source.
(Reporter)

Comment 1

19 years ago
Instead of using, http://babel/projects/training/commlangs.html,
if you use the full URL:

http://babel.mcom.com/projects/training/commlangs.html

with the domain specified, you won't have this problem.

Comment 2

19 years ago
AFAIK the keyword code is pretty XP. It loads fine for me on Linux. will try
win... ->jud
Assignee: gagan → valeski
(Assignee)

Comment 3

19 years ago
tever can you confirm. I am unable to repro this using winnt.
(Reporter)

Comment 4

19 years ago
I just downloaded 2/7/2000 Win32 and tried the same steps
described above. Go to the URL, and choose "Central European -
Czech (Windows-1250)" link, and then ended up at:

http://keyword.netscape.com/keyword/babel

instead. When I tried "back" button, I could not get back to

http://babel/projects/training/commlangs.html

at all. Couldn't get back by GO menu, either.
(Reporter)

Comment 5

19 years ago
I tried the Linux build found here:

ftp://sweetlou/products/client/seamonkey/unix/linux_glibc/2.2/x86/2000-02-07-08-
M14/

and got exactly the same result as the one for Windows, i.e.
it failed to display a link under the current directory and
instead ended up at keyword search when I used the host name "babel" 
without the "mcom.com" domain specified.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

19 years ago
I found another more familiar web site which fails this way.

1. Go to: http://warp
2. Under the Projects and Groups, click on the "Client" link.
3. Instead of going to Client engineering page, Mozilal goes to "Brainbow Inc." page.

This is slighly different in that it does not seem to trigger keyword search at NetCenter as my 
original example, but if you supply the full domain (mcom.com) after "warp", this problem does not
happen.

Updated

19 years ago
Target Milestone: M15

Comment 7

19 years ago
Could it be that momoi's PC is not resolving the hostname correctly (searching
with default domain)? 

Comment 8

19 years ago
setting myself as keyword qa contact
QA Contact: tever → paulmac

Comment 9

19 years ago
This is a definite problem that doesn't have anything to do with babel. Keywords 
are turned on by default on commercial builds, which is why only netscape 
internal people are seeing this. You can turn it on and off in the pref pane 
under smart browsing.

Jud has another bug on this, dealing with http://phonebook

Comment 10

19 years ago
Strings with dots are not considered keywords, this maybe the reason babel does
trigger keyword search while babel.mcom.com does not. 

But all this keyword search will only be triggered if the initial creation/load
of a URI out of the string fails in the first place. I can't reproduce this with
my local webserver using the hostname without the domain. It's just working
fine. I still think there is a problem resolving babel as a valid host to load
from.

Comment 11

19 years ago
this is fixed now
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 19 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED

Comment 12

19 years ago
verified 2/14
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.