Errors in downloaded files using download manager caused by ZoneAlarm

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

SeaMonkey
Download & File Handling
--
major
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
14 years ago
14 years ago

People

(Reporter: jj12, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows XP

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

14 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

Hi

I often get the following message trying to open a document downloaded with the
download manager ( I am using no extension for download ):

"There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be
repaired", in this case it refers to a pdf document.

If i use IE6 the document opens flawless, perfect download. 

The same problem happens with other files, e.g. mpg files, the video is jittery
and useless. Downloading the same file with IE6 results in a perfect file. I
have had these experiances over a long time now, before reporting this bug. 
I use FF ver 1.0 final, xp sp2.

Best regards Jorn

Reproducible: Sometimes
Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.

Actual Results:  
Damaged downloads

Expected Results:  
Perfect downloads

Comment 1

14 years ago
It more sounds like network problem.

You should try to create some hard statistics so you can exclude temporary
network problems. Go to a website where you can see the md5sum of a file you
download. 

For example:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0/
Start downloading files from there. And compare with a md5sum checker
(http://winmd5sum.solidblue.biz/) the md5sum from the file you download and the
one in ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0/MD5SUMS.

Now you do is atleast 20 times with both Firefox and IE. And count how many
times both browsers fail. If Firefox fails atleast 10% more you should even try
to do it 20 times more and see again. (Best would be to do it 100 times).
(Reporter)

Comment 2

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #0)
> User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
> Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
> 
> Hi
> 
> I often get the following message trying to open a document downloaded with the
> download manager ( I am using no extension for download ):
> 
> "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be
> repaired", in this case it refers to a pdf document.
> 
> If i use IE6 the document opens flawless, perfect download. 
> 
> The same problem happens with other files, e.g. mpg files, the video is jittery
> and useless. Downloading the same file with IE6 results in a perfect file. I
> have had these experiances over a long time now, before reporting this bug. 
> I use FF ver 1.0 final, xp sp2.
> 
> Best regards Jorn
> 
> Reproducible: Sometimes
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1.
> 2.
> 3.
> 
> Actual Results:  
> Damaged downloads
> 
> Expected Results:  
> Perfect downloads

(In reply to comment #0)
> User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
> Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
> 
> Hi
> 
> I often get the following message trying to open a document downloaded with the
> download manager ( I am using no extension for download ):
> 
> "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be
> repaired", in this case it refers to a pdf document.
> 
> If i use IE6 the document opens flawless, perfect download. 
> 
> The same problem happens with other files, e.g. mpg files, the video is jittery
> and useless. Downloading the same file with IE6 results in a perfect file. I
> have had these experiances over a long time now, before reporting this bug. 
> I use FF ver 1.0 final, xp sp2.
> 
> Best regards Jorn
> 
> Reproducible: Sometimes
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1.
> 2.
> 3.
> 
> Actual Results:  
> Damaged downloads
> 
> Expected Results:  
> Perfect downloads

(In reply to comment #1)
> It more sounds like network problem.
> 
> You should try to create some hard statistics so you can exclude temporary
> network problems. Go to a website where you can see the md5sum of a file you
> download. 
> 
> For example:
> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0/
> Start downloading files from there. And compare with a md5sum checker
> (http://winmd5sum.solidblue.biz/) the md5sum from the file you download and the
> one in ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0/MD5SUMS.
> 
> Now you do is atleast 20 times with both Firefox and IE. And count how many
> times both browsers fail. If Firefox fails atleast 10% more you should even try
> to do it 20 times more and see again. (Best would be to do it 100 times).

Hi 

i can assure you that is not the problem. I have had this problem every 3 or 4
times i downloaded the last 4-5 weeks. Hence i ofcourse did some testings:
Immediately after getting an error with FF download, i tried exactly the same
with IE6, with no problems. I then immediately again tried to download with FF
with the same erroneous result. I then tried to download with IE6 immediately
again, with a perfect download as result. These "double/cross" checks i
performed at least 20-30 times, the outcome was the same everytime. I even did
these tests from my PC at work, the results remained the same. Hence i am quite
sure it is not related to network poblems. (no offence, but that was almost the
answer i would expect from MS :-)

Thanks for a great browser though :-)

Best regards Jorn
(Reporter)

Comment 3

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #0)
> User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
> Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
> 
> Hi
> 
> I often get the following message trying to open a document downloaded with the
> download manager ( I am using no extension for download ):
> 
> "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be
> repaired", in this case it refers to a pdf document.
> 
> If i use IE6 the document opens flawless, perfect download. 
> 
> The same problem happens with other files, e.g. mpg files, the video is jittery
> and useless. Downloading the same file with IE6 results in a perfect file. I
> have had these experiances over a long time now, before reporting this bug. 
> I use FF ver 1.0 final, xp sp2.
> 
> Best regards Jorn
> 
> Reproducible: Sometimes
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1.
> 2.
> 3.
> 
> Actual Results:  
> Damaged downloads
> 
> Expected Results:  
> Perfect downloads

(In reply to comment #2)
> (In reply to comment #0)
> > User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
> Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
> > Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
> Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
> > 
> > Hi
> > 
> > I often get the following message trying to open a document downloaded with the
> > download manager ( I am using no extension for download ):
> > 
> > "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be
> > repaired", in this case it refers to a pdf document.
> > 
> > If i use IE6 the document opens flawless, perfect download. 
> > 
> > The same problem happens with other files, e.g. mpg files, the video is jittery
> > and useless. Downloading the same file with IE6 results in a perfect file. I
> > have had these experiances over a long time now, before reporting this bug. 
> > I use FF ver 1.0 final, xp sp2.
> > 
> > Best regards Jorn
> > 
> > Reproducible: Sometimes
> > Steps to Reproduce:
> > 1.
> > 2.
> > 3.
> > 
> > Actual Results:  
> > Damaged downloads
> > 
> > Expected Results:  
> > Perfect downloads
> 
> (In reply to comment #0)
> > User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
> Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
> > Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
> Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
> > 
> > Hi
> > 
> > I often get the following message trying to open a document downloaded with the
> > download manager ( I am using no extension for download ):
> > 
> > "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be
> > repaired", in this case it refers to a pdf document.
> > 
> > If i use IE6 the document opens flawless, perfect download. 
> > 
> > The same problem happens with other files, e.g. mpg files, the video is jittery
> > and useless. Downloading the same file with IE6 results in a perfect file. I
> > have had these experiances over a long time now, before reporting this bug. 
> > I use FF ver 1.0 final, xp sp2.
> > 
> > Best regards Jorn
> > 
> > Reproducible: Sometimes
> > Steps to Reproduce:
> > 1.
> > 2.
> > 3.
> > 
> > Actual Results:  
> > Damaged downloads
> > 
> > Expected Results:  
> > Perfect downloads
> 
> (In reply to comment #1)
> > It more sounds like network problem.
> > 
> > You should try to create some hard statistics so you can exclude temporary
> > network problems. Go to a website where you can see the md5sum of a file you
> > download. 
> > 
> > For example:
> > ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0/
> > Start downloading files from there. And compare with a md5sum checker
> > (http://winmd5sum.solidblue.biz/) the md5sum from the file you download and the
> > one in ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0/MD5SUMS.
> > 
> > Now you do is atleast 20 times with both Firefox and IE. And count how many
> > times both browsers fail. If Firefox fails atleast 10% more you should even try
> > to do it 20 times more and see again. (Best would be to do it 100 times).
> 
> Hi 
> 
> i can assure you that is not the problem. I have had this problem every 3 or 4
> times i downloaded the last 4-5 weeks. Hence i ofcourse did some testings:
> Immediately after getting an error with FF download, i tried exactly the same
> with IE6, with no problems. I then immediately again tried to download with FF
> with the same erroneous result. I then tried to download with IE6 immediately
> again, with a perfect download as result. These "double/cross" checks i
> performed at least 20-30 times, the outcome was the same everytime. I even did
> these tests from my PC at work, the results remained the same. Hence i am quite
> sure it is not related to network poblems. (no offence, but that was almost the
> answer i would expect from MS :-)
> 
> Thanks for a great browser though :-)
> 
> Best regards Jorn

Strange though; it works flawless if i open the pdf file in the browser.

Do this test tyour self; try do download the pdf file;

place this string in the address field; 

http://www.google.se/search?q=download+pdf&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

then right click and save as " Mad Cow USA"

Post your findings.

Reg Jorn

Comment 4

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #2)
> (In reply to comment #0)

> > Hi
> > 
> > I often get the following message trying to open a document downloaded with the
> > download manager ( I am using no extension for download ):
> > 
> > "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be
> > repaired", in this case it refers to a pdf document.

Please, Jorn, don´t make this bug unusable by quoting all the previous comments
to the full extent. Delete the lines you don´t refer to, that makes your comment
shorter and more readable.

What is your type of network connection?
Dial-Up, DSL, WLAN? Do you use a wireless router?

Do the damaged files have the correct size, or are they shorter?
(Reporter)

Comment 5

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #4)
> (In reply to comment #2)
> > (In reply to comment #0)
> 
> > > Hi
> > > 
> > > I often get the following message trying to open a document downloaded
with the
> > > download manager ( I am using no extension for download ):
> > > 
> > > "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could
not be
> > > repaired", in this case it refers to a pdf document.
> 
> Please, Jorn, don´t make this bug unusable by quoting all the previous comments
> to the full extent. Delete the lines you don´t refer to, that makes your comment
> shorter and more readable.
> 
> What is your type of network connection?
> Dial-Up, DSL, WLAN? Do you use a wireless router?
> 
> Do the damaged files have the correct size, or are they shorter?

Hi

Sorry for the quotes, didnt know ( i hope i did it correct this time :-).

I use a 2 MB DLS modem connection (not wireless). Filesize of the pdf,
downloading via FF is = 1.050.334 byte. Filesize of the pdf downloading via IE6
 = 1.050.334 byte. I have downloaded these several times, sizes are always the
same, ie.e its not an error occuring just sometimes.  

But please, try it for your self and let us know what you come up with; copy the
following string to FF address bar and right click on the pdf file at the bottom
called "Mad Cow USA" and "save link as" to any folder

http://www.google.se/search?q=download+pdf&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Now try to open the file.
Did you get the same error ?

Then try to do the same with IE6. Did you get an error here ?

Thanks 
Jorn
(Reporter)

Comment 6

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #4)
> > (In reply to comment #2)
> > > (In reply to comment #0)
> > 
> > > > Hi
> > > > 
> > > > I often get the following message trying to open a document downloaded
> with the
> > > > download manager ( I am using no extension for download ):
> > > > 
> > > > "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could
> not be
> > > > repaired", in this case it refers to a pdf document.
> > 
> > Please, Jorn, don´t make this bug unusable by quoting all the previous comments
> > to the full extent. Delete the lines you don´t refer to, that makes your comment
> > shorter and more readable.
> > 
> > What is your type of network connection?
> > Dial-Up, DSL, WLAN? Do you use a wireless router?
> > 
> > Do the damaged files have the correct size, or are they shorter?
> 
> Hi
> 
> Sorry for the quotes, didnt know ( i hope i did it correct this time :-).
> 
> I use a 2 MB DSL modem connection (not wireless). Filesize of the pdf,
> downloading via FF is = 1.050.334 byte. Filesize of the pdf downloading via IE6
>  = 1.050.334 byte. I have downloaded these several times, sizes are always the
> same, ie.e its not an error occuring just sometimes.  
> 
> But please, try it for your self and let us know what you come up with; copy the
> following string to FF address bar and right click on the pdf file at the bottom
> called "Mad Cow USA" and "save link as" to any folder
> 
>
http://www.google.se/search?q=download+pdf&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
> 
> Now try to open the file.
> Did you get the same error ?
> 
> Then try to do the same with IE6. Did you get an error here ?
> 
> Thanks 
> Jorn

Correction; filesize for the FF pdf download is = 1.053.164 byte, i.e. it
differes from the size of the same file DL with TE6.

Jorn

Comment 7

14 years ago
Could you give an exact link to the PDF file you're trying to download? Because
the link you give is a google search.

Could you then provide the md5sum of the file downloaded with IE? Not the size
in bytes because that's not accurate ennough.
(Reporter)

Comment 8

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #7)
> Could you give an exact link to the PDF file you're trying to download? Because
> the link you give is a google search.
> 
> Could you then provide the md5sum of the file downloaded with IE? Not the size
> in bytes because that's not accurate ennough.

Hi

yes it is a google search link, but paste exactly this into FF and follow what i
described previously. You should be able to do the test. If i would state the
exact address and you paste that into FF you would open the file, and as said if
i choose "open" instead of DL, then the file is displayed perfectly. So just
follow the describtion.

Reg Jorn

Comment 9

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #6)

> > Sorry for the quotes, didnt know ( i hope i did it correct this time :-).

No, you didn´t cut anything, and didn´t insert your answers right after the
question ;-)

> > I use a 2 MB DSL modem connection (not wireless). Filesize of the pdf,
> > downloading via FF is = 1.050.334 byte. Filesize of the pdf downloading via IE6
> >  = 1.050.334 byte. I have downloaded these several times, sizes are always the
> > same, ie.e its not an error occuring just sometimes.  

> Correction; filesize for the FF pdf download is = 1.053.164 byte, i.e. it
> differes from the size of the same file DL with TE6.


So the corrupted download from FF is 2830 bytes longer?

I´ll repeat now your statements made in these long comments:

You are using Firefox 1.0 final on WinXP, SP2, and a 2 Mbit DSL Modem.
You did the tests at home, and at work, same results.
When getting a download error, you crosschecked by repeating the download with
IE, then FF, and once more IE, and once more FF, and IE was ok, FF failing.

one of the corrupt downloads was 2830 bytes longer than the working one made
with IE.
Are corrupt downloads always longer, or sometimes same size, or shorter?
Do you have extensions installed, like Adblock, or Flashblock, and go on surfing
while you are downloading?
You are using 2 MBit DSL, what is the actual speed of the download?
Are only fast downloading files corrupt, or also files from slower servers?

You can test Firefox Nightlies without touching your regular installation, if
you download zips. They create a folder 'Firefox' where you unpack them, so be
sure to unpack them into a directory where no file or folder 'Firefox' exists.
make a shortcut to firefox.exe in this directory. If you want to get rid of the
nightly, just delete it.
If you want to use it with a separate profile, make the shortcut call firefox.exe -P
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-0.11/
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-0.11-l10n/

If the zips are corrupt, the unzipper will tell.


Comment 10

14 years ago
> (In reply to comment #7)
> yes it is a google search link, but paste exactly this into FF and follow what i
> described previously. You should be able to do the test. If i would state the
> exact address and you paste that into FF you would open the file, and as said if
> i choose "open" instead of DL, then the file is displayed perfectly. So just
> follow the describtion.

A simple direct link to the pdf file would make life much more simple. Because
then I know 100% sure we're talking about the same file. Because this link is
just giving me search results.
(Reporter)

Comment 11

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #10)
> > (In reply to comment #7)
> > yes it is a google search link, but paste exactly this into FF and follow what i
> > described previously. You should be able to do the test. If i would state the
> > exact address and you paste that into FF you would open the file, and as said if
> > i choose "open" instead of DL, then the file is displayed perfectly. So just
> > follow the describtion.
> 
> A simple direct link to the pdf file would make life much more simple. Because
> then I know 100% sure we're talking about the same file. Because this link is
> just giving me search results.
> 
Heres the link; http://www.prwatch.org/books/mcusa.pdf

But you could easyly yourself right cick on the file i stated named "Mad Cow
USA" found in the URL I also stated. The problem is if you feed the address bar
in FF with the above "http://www.prwatch.org/books/mcusa.pdf" your browser will
start to load the pdf file via the browser plug-in and NOT downloading it to a
separate file which is exactly where the errors begin as said. Please simply do
as i stated previously, i would like to know if you can reproduce the same
errors. If you feed FF with the exact URL then you cant miss the file i am
talking about. BTW it is not the sepcific pdf file that is the problem, it is
simply just an example of a file which i have encountered the phenomenon, i have
had the same experiance with several other pdf's mpg's etc. Dont complicate
things more than necessary, please just what i suggest a try. Hereafter you may
test checksum via md5sum, I have no clue what that is about. I just encountered
the malfunction. But again, why not just follow what i suggest - keep it simple
- then let us know what you find :-)

Thanks and regards Jorn
(Reporter)

Comment 12

14 years ago
Hi

i tried this as well;
http://www.projectliberty.org/specs/final_privacy_security_best_practices.pdf

same result, damaged DL with FF, whereas IE6 did it perfect. Im about to let go
and return to IE6, as sad as it is, i consider FF 1.0 to be too buggy. Let me
know if you're not able to reproduce the same errors as I, or find a solution
hereto, in the meantime im back to IE :-(

Jorn
(Reporter)

Comment 13

14 years ago
It seems I have especial problems downloading pdf files using FF "Save link as",
virtually none of the Dl files are working :-(
Jorn
(Reporter)

Comment 14

14 years ago
Heres another example of a malfunction it appears; try to clock on this link;
http://www.jp.dk/webtv/ and choose the movieclip "Virgin milliardær i nyt
realiy-show" (a News broadcast) The colors and quality using FF is distorted. 

Please let me know of any of you can reproduce the problems herewith and with
the downloads of pdf.

Jorn
(Reporter)

Comment 15

14 years ago
Hi

i have found the reason for the problemdownloading especially PDF files via FF
1.0 DL manager i think. The problem  lies in uasge of Zonealarm Pro in
conjunction with FF; changing anything in ZA Pro regarding "privacy" results in
corrupted DL's. If everything is left "default" it seems to work. I have done
some testing herefo and it appears to be the case. I have reported the bug to
Zonelarm.

Thanks and best regards Jorn
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
(Reporter)

Comment 16

14 years ago
Have a look at this thread;

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=access&message.id=14528#M14528

Many other people have been facing the same problem, i hope its just a Zonealarm
pro problem and not at the same time a FF problem. Ill report back when i hear
from ZA

Jorn
> Thanks and best regards Jorn
Product: Browser → Seamonkey

Comment 17

14 years ago
*** Bug 271264 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Updated

14 years ago
Summary: Errors in downloaded files using download manager → Errors in downloaded files using download manager caused by ZoneAlarm
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.