Inbox - not displaying html mail

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

--
critical
RESOLVED INVALID
14 years ago
14 years ago

People

(Reporter: appsdev, Assigned: mscott)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

14 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0/ --- thunderbird .9

I modified user.js with "  user_pref("mailnews.display.html_as", 1)  " to accept
delivery of mail in text only. A HTML message does not display. The mail arrives
with strange results.

The inbox item in the folder list displays in bold "  Inbox(1)  ". I cannot
remove the "  (1)  ". The inbox file lists the contents of the message. It will
not display. The code is somehow broken.

The addition to user.js came from mozilla's website.


Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. receive html message
2.
3.

Actual Results:  
Bold "  Inbox(1)  " and nothing else

Expected Results:  
It depends on what the coder wanted to happen. Either convert the file to text
and display it or disregard the message with a message box about not accepting
html messages. My guess is the first.

I have been unable to get rid of the bold "  Inbox(1)  ".

It is marked critical because it causes a loss of data (the message).
(Reporter)

Comment 1

14 years ago
Good Day . . .

I sent myself a plain text message to the subject account. The inbox displayed
in bold "  Inbox(2)  ". I clicked on the item and nothing happened. No messages
were displayed.

I checked the Inbox file and my plain text message is appended. The html message
that caused the problem is directly before it.

Please advise how I can purge the inbox. This is my main business account.

Thank You . . .
(Reporter)

Comment 2

14 years ago
Good Day . . .

Added info.

I tracked down the account control file to inbox.msf. The two missing messages
were listed. I renamed the file and started Thunderbird. The two messages
appeared under Subject, Sender and Date. Strange though, the html message
appeared in html and not text as requested in the user.js file.

This is workaround and not a cure but it works4me.

I must apologise for something in advance. Effective 24 November 2004 this
account will no longer be available. I should have maybe not started this. I
will be in a black hole until at least January 2005. I am moving. Anything that
I can do over the next two days I will be glad to assist.

Thank You . . .

Comment 3

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #0)
> I modified user.js with "  user_pref("mailnews.display.html_as", 1)  " to
> accept delivery of mail in text only. A HTML message does not display. The
> mail arrives with strange results.

Rather than making a direct change to user.js, delete that line and make your 
settings via the menu    View | Message Body As

ISTR that changing that menu actually changes two settings in preferences, so 
you might have selected a bogus combination by making the change to only that 
one.

If this solution works for you, please mark this bug   Resolved|Invalid

Comment 4

14 years ago
No response from reporter; =>Invalid
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.